• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have a water block design they need made?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2FastFX

Registered
I am a machinist and I was told some people on here have some designs for water blocks but no access to machines to make them on. I have access to CNC mills and lathes and can make anything I want on them. If you have a design submit it here.

NOTE: I am a very busy person. I have a fiberglass motorized sub/amp enclosure I am building for my truck, a PC to mod and build, a custom laptop cabinemt to build, and I work 45+ hours a week. I'm not going to be able to build a bunch of water blocks. But if you have a design that you think might work better than what's available, let's see what we can do.

Email: 2_f_a_s_t_f_x_@_c_e_b_r_i_d_g_e_._n_e_t
(REMOVE UNDERSCORES - _)

Last edited:
Where do you live and what would the costs be? Also, what are the specs of the machines you have access to, the types of mills and the sizes? :)

I live 60 miles West of Indianapolis Indiana.

The shop where I work is very small, but we have two of only six Mori-Seiki 8-axis lathe/mills in the US (friggin awesome machines). We have another smaller Mori-Seiki 6-axis lathe/mill, three Swiss-type 8-axis lathes, a Haas VF1, VF2, and VF4, and two Hitachi lathes. All of these are CNC. We also have a manual 6' engine lathe and a Series I Bridgeport mill. The Mori Sieki lathes could spit out water blocks about one every 30 seconds.

I don't know what the cost will be until I see some designs and submit them to my boss for quoting. They will decide the cost. And please include dimensions. I have never personally even seen a water block so I can't work from just pictures, or a description. And don't copy someone else's block and have me build you one. I'd hate to violate a copyright or something ;)

Hey man, that sounds like an awesome deal, depending on how generous you are, most blocks would have between 8 and 80 minutes of machine time, the 80 minut ones are extremely complex blocks, you would be looking at 10 and 30 minutes, 30 for being really complex.

If I didnt have my own machine and didnt get a job in a shop I would definately take you up in this offer, although I see you have some insane machines, I just might have other projects to see if you could help me out on some time or another.

If you need help drawing or programming the blocks or have questions about drawings or whatever, let me know, I have been making blocks and machining for a few years now.
8 axis milling machine, wow, the most I have really heard of is 7, if you have more info/pics, send me a pm!

Jon

That was a typo on the Mori's. I meant 6 axis. They have twin spindle, twin turret, and Y axis on each head. If you check out this site you can see all the parts the Mori-Seiki's make as we make pretty much all of Flotec's stuff...
http://www.floteco2.com/products.html

I personally run the mills, and make a lot of stuff for Cooper tools. Cooper makes extremely high end air tooling. $3000 air impacts for instance.

I just starting learning AutoCad (2005) within the last year, but I have been programming for about 6 years now using a calculator. Now I write my programs from AutoCad drawings. It's so much easier than trig. All our 3D mill work is done in MasterCam.

What kind of work do you do? Got any AutoCad water block drawings you care to share?

I have been designing and prototyping blocks for myself hoping to come up with something good before someone else did, I have a few drawings I would share, send me PM with your E-mail address.

Right now at the shop I work at I mainly run the machines, nothing too much as I just graduated from high school. they have a couple haas VF-3s and a milltronics cnc mill and a few easy path cnc lathes, 4 bridgeport mills, couple other manual lathes and a really big manual lathe. I hope to get a chance to show them my cad skills and such and get programming and all but we will see as Im not planning on being a machinist the rest of my life, just during college.

I have a seige x2 mini mill that I converted to cnc, needs a little work getting it to work right, and a mini lathe that I will hopefully be converting soon.

yeah, just get me an e-mail address to send the drawings to and Ill get them to ya.

Jon

Ah, I see. A rookie! JK =)

I have been machining metal for about 8 years now, and 10 years total on CNC's. I started in Aerospace, and have graduated to Air tool parts LOL. I find it funny that I now make parts for ratchets and oxygen tanks, and there are parts I have made floating around up on the space station. I used to machine a lot of parts for GE at Tri Aerospace. Here's some parts I worked on, and some of them I was the sole machinist on the part...
http://www.triaerospace.com/products.htm

Pics are broke.

At one block every thirty seconds you could make a barrelfull. ;)

If it helps I think that several people on the forums would be able to get together to buy a batch of blocks, most would not mind doing much of the work themselves (plexi covers, barbs, mounting hardware).

I was just thinking about making a post for someone with access to machining tools to help out the rest of the forum.

I was basically wanting to do this so I could learn about water cooling, and maybe build my own system while helping someone else build theirs. But if we could get a design rolling, and enough people wanted a block, I am sure I could submit the design at work and we could mass produce something. We are slow right now and they consider anything like this as a means to keep the doors open so to speak.

I guess I should mention that we can make anything. So it doesn't just have to be the water blocks. We could manufacture the entire system from resevoir, to all the water blocks and even the fittings. We can have them anodized, chromed, or whatever.

I know someone that would be very interested in having his blocked manufactured. From what I know he spent lots of time designing this block and has won an engineering award for it from his university. I'll be letting him know about this.

At one stage I actually had (well.. still do) drawings for a very custom setup.. custom res, blocks, pump holders, rad holders etc... It sounds like you have some excellent equipment!

I have been working on my own block designs for a while now (can be found in this forum.. search for Shadowblock.. not sure if the pics still work though) and when my main exams finish (about 2 weeks) I will be able to spend more time working on a custom suite... then I would be VERY interested in your services! If you want me to email you some examples I can..

I added my email to the original post I made here. Send away. My ICQ# is 42269241 if you have ICQ and care to chat.

Hey 2 fastFX! I am the man that Jdizzle is talking about. Right now i have one very complete complex WB design that not even m teacher's 3d-printer could make. (3d printer prints a prototype in this resin-like material to make adjustments before final production.) The smallest crevice on there is about .03inches apart. Yes, I know its small. Originally i had it at .02 So thank me on that one. This is very complex. There are alot of filleting to be done, as well as a chamfer near the center as where the DIE of the cpu would be making contact at. This is the thinnest piece of copper there is in the entire block. a link to the thread i started is here: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=319162 this has been going on for about a month or two. As you can see the progression of my designs. MY final one however was done at school, so i only have a orthographic presentation of it. As you can also see.. its printed out. I can request for it to be sent to me over email from my Engineering teacher.

The program i used was Autodesk Inventor 6. Very similiar to AUTOCAD... however on a simpler scale. This is more user friendly.. as i looked at autocad and have no idea how to use it. It would take me weeks to learn how to use it efficiently and effetively, as inventor only took me a couple of days.

As Jdizzle as aforementioned before, i have won "Best Of Class" award at a county fair here in my area for my engineering skills as well as complexity of design and enginuity. All over school (engineering class esp.) my efforts have been greatly admired and they all hope that my future can be proceeded through my designs.

So, I am asking you: Will you be able to aid me in my quest to complete this monster? Everyone who has seen it is very eager for me to get one in production and test its abilities. I have a patent pending on it also! so no one can jack it from me. :D

My email is: JrCamachoATsanDOTrrDOTcom
AIM: Jerald Quotes <-- that would be an easier way to contact me.

If you wish to talk on the phone.. i would rather you PM me about that issue.

Thank you again!

My brother is an engineer that builds large version of these water blocks for other applications... we've spoken on doing something, however, the costs are pretty high...

Back