• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory upgrading...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Osirus said:
Ok, I read up on some reviews and I would like to get some response's on this memory from Geil

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-602&depa=1

Im going from 1gig of Mushkin pc2700 to 512mb of pc3200. (I know, I know, dont flame me)

Just would like some input on this if possible.

Rig is in Sig for any questions about hardware.

Ummm...errr what PC2700. Are you use you dont have BH6? Cuz if its a Level2 Black PC2700, you do in fact have BH6. Which means no upgrade for j00.

This is not a flame, but a question...what is it that you are trying to accomplish by going from the gig of PC2700, running at 240 fsb (15 x 240 = 3.6), if my math is right, to 512MB? Would it be increasing your fsb? In a case of first impression, I would think that your overall system's performance would be better with the gig you currently have vs dropping down to 512MB. Please note that my question is not intended to be a knock on your choice of ram, just trying to get a handle on why you want to make the change down to 512MB.

Yea thats generic stuff. I would instead pick up some cheap Hynix, either PC4000 or PC42 / 4400. Somthing nice and speedy to match your Intel CPU 1:1.

Also have you tried OCing the RAM at all? Does it do anywhere near PC3200 speeds?

Well I want to be able to run dual channel, and get more speed from my fsb, with this memory I seem to hit a wall at 240. I ordered some Geil pc3200 2 x 256 Dragon Series dual channel kit, Ive heard a lot of good things about this memory and I figured I would give it a shot.

Back