• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max3, do minus 10c for temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hi People

How many people minus / subtract 10c from there bios reported tempson the IC7 Max3? I know my mobo is over reporting by 13c but in MBM i just minus 10c and I am happy with that. I used thermal temp measuring thing and also tested on another pc (make sure I was doing everything right).

Thanks

I never subtract. Yes, the Abit is known to over-report, but nobody can say for sure how much an individual mobo will be off. There is no external thermister can accurately measure the internal core temp. Besides, I think the latest BIOS update sort of corrects for this anyway.

Batboy...

The latest version does not correct this. That is a fact, slight modifiied numbers? Yes. I tried my probe on P4C800 and the BIOS was 3 degrees lower than I was getting (common knowledge). It is foolish to presume that what abit say is always right.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinions.

Taking variables when creating the mobo into account and bios 1.6, I personally think IC7 Max3 mobo will over temp report by 10 or more.

Just the way of the world. :cry:

I never said that Abit was correct. I said that Abit is known to over-report. How much is open for debate.

Please, do not assume that all Abit IC7 Max3 mobos report 10 degrees or more higher than actual. The truth is, none of us knows exactly how accurate an individual mobo might be.

Last edited:
abit reports too high asus too low and gigabyte about right, any ways you could substract 10-13c for cpu but when it's idle, when I had gigabyte board i put a probe under cpu the temps only were same when cpu was idle, anywys the whole temperature thing is requlated by an equation so how accurated is that

^^ you beat me to it - it could be the temp are repoted PERFECTLY! it is warmer in the core then it is on the surface - remeber that :D

That certainly was an interesting article which seems to support the theory of Abit reporting about 10 degrees higher than actual. But, as Mr. Guv points out, the external probe they used was embedded into the base of the heatsink. This would report heatsink temp not CPU core temp. The on-board thermister the BIOS reads is not mounted in the heatsink, so you cannot make an entirely valid direct correlation between these two values. However, it does give us a relative ballpark idea of what we had already figured out on our own and that is Abit reads high and Asus reads low.

In order for the conclusions to be scientifically and statistically valid, a larger population of motherboards would require being tested. You can't just make the assumption that since one mobo reports X degrees high, that all mobos report exactly the same amount. That was my point from an earlier post.

meionm said:
abit reports too high asus too low and gigabyte about right, any ways you could substract 10-13c for cpu but when it's idle, when I had gigabyte board i put a probe under cpu the temps only were same when cpu was idle, anywys the whole temperature thing is requlated by an equation so how accurated is that

Does anyone know the equations they use? If you knew the equations you could probobly accurately compare the different boards.

Back