• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get rid of WMP 7.1 security update from Windows Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exiler

k, this is really really making me mad.

No matter how many times I apply the stupid patch:

817787: Security Update Windows Media Player 7.1
Download size: 263 KB, < 1 minute
An identified security issue in Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.1 and Windows Media Player for XP could enable an attacker to read files or run programs on a remote computer. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Read more...

It still frekin comes up in Windows Update for critical updates and under Installation History:

Successful Sunday, August 01, 2004 817787: Security Update Windows Media Player 7.1 Web site

So it says it installed correctly so why does it keep on wanting to install again.

Someone help me out here and also I uninstalled the damm WMP 7.1 and its no longer in the Add/Remove section.

Frankly I could have ignored the problem but when I have Windows Update activated I dont want to be bugged eveytime to update it. I also need Windows Auto-Update activated since we all know MS always got New patches every month.

I am using Windows 2000 with SP4, I have done a repair and still the same problem.

I have manually d/led the patch and tried to apply it but says its already patched. so why in the world is MS being a pain in the a** here.

ummm....anyway NOT to upgrade to WMP 9 solution?

Not really fond of that player.

Like cant I set it to ignore that specific update so auto-matic updates ignores it?

no, I'm not fond of 7.1 either, I just needed to run it once for some web stuffs that kept on bugging me for 7.1 or higher, I knew that WMP 9 has issues of not being able to be uninstalled once its installed, so I chose 7.1, but then I uninstalled it, I just use 6.4 instead you know mplayer2.exe

Back