• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm need help someone please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mshow4444

Hey all whats up. I'm in some serious need of help.

I just built my first PC about 3 weeks ago and it was running very smoothly for about a week, except it would shut itself down at random times, and then start itself right back up.

And then about a week and a half ago the computer would not even boot up. I would press the power switch and it would check the configurations for about one minute and then it automatically shuts down. My specs are below....please someone rescue me from this nightmare...

Aspire X-Infinity Case with 350ATX PSU
Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor
2 X 512 mb Corsair XMS memory
200 GB maxtor Harddrive
Sony DRU-530A DVD R/RW drive
Sony CD ROM
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO videocard

Please someone help me

I apologize for posting a second time, but this is my very first post, and i was unaware of where i made the last post...Thank you for understanding and i hope to hear from anyone who thinks that they can help a first time computer builder

I'm still a newbie myself but my guess is the power supply might be the problem. Also were your temps high before this started to happen? What HSF are you using, is it stock cooling? My configuration is very similiar to yours and I've had only one random reboot and that was after screwing with the ram timings.

Yea the Powersupply is just a 350 psu that came with the case and as far as teh temps go i was def running hot, but it seems like all my P4 wants to do is run hott...

I mean i have 4X 80 mm fans as it is, and i'm getting a 120 mm for the back of my case by the end of the week. And yea i have the STOCK heat sink and fan that came right in the retail Pckg of the P4. If you went out and got another heatsink n fan, what did you get. If you have AIM dude, PM me your IM screen name or Post it here, and i'll holla at you.

Thanks alot again bro it really means alot to see your willing to help me man

Have you tried to take out and use other known parts that are good? This process will help determine which part could possibly be the problem. Do you have "spare" parts laying about, HDD, other memory, extra PSU?

Try switching these parts out and narrowing it down. If you dont have any thing around, hopefully a friend may let you us theirs. Also, try using just one stick of memory, and using different dimm slots. Completely unplug the CD and DVD also.

Usually tho, a problem like this seems to be the PSU, CPU, or mobo. If none of the above things help, or you cant determine what the problem is, you may have to start RMAing things. Since most ppl dont have a spare CPU or mobo laying around, those two parts are a little harder to test. Good luck and refer back to here if you need any further help.

To both of you..........WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome Seabee. Mshow, I would definitly try what Seabee suggested and narrow down what the problem could be before spending money on stuff that may not work. If it is a heat issue a lot of people here like the SP-94 from Thermalright as a heatsink. I personally use a Zalman CNPS7000 all copper and I'm pretty happy with that. Pretty much anything is better then stock cooling.

Back