• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD during windows setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vsalvis

I am reinstalling XP on my computer, however right after setup formats my hard drive to ntfs, it will copy the files needed for windows setup and eventually error out resulting in a BSOD.

I have received a variety of error messages ranging from : acpi.sys to the irql_is_not_less_than_or_equal. I seem to have temporarily have fixed the acpi.sys problem by booting into windows via the standard computer setting (pressing the f5 or f7) when windows setup comes up.

Now i am stuck with the driver irql problem :bang head . Any reason why windows would be throwing this error?

I have reseated my cables, i.e. tear everything out of my computer and rebuild it. I also have verified that the cd for windows is not cracked.

Thanks,
Vsalvis

i know and doom 3 is out :mad:

Anyhow, I talked with a friend of mine that does tech support.
What he suggested is to take out everything that does not need to be in the computer for it to boot up, i.e. sound card. After that reset the cmos to the defaults and attempt to do it...

I think this may work because i have had problems with sb 5.1 before. I think it had something to do with the irq settings.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Memory looks fine after running memtest. I looked in the bios and everything seems to be functioning per normal temperatures (cpu temp is mid - high 30s, etc...)

I have a few things in mind to setup and try in order to fix my computer, the only things is that they are time consuming and i don't have that time....

My new problem is that when i load up windows, it will get stuck during the formating of my hard drive. If i do the quick format for ntfs, it gets stuck at 20%, and if i do the regular format it gets stuck at 100% (as demonstrated when left over night last night).

I installed windows 98 onto my computer after i wiped the partition and used the fat32 format, but at the end of the installation it came up with the error that schlwapi.dll is not found in missing export file gdi32.dll. The next screen is a white screen exclaiming i have to install windows.

I downloaded a tool to run some tests on my harddrive, so that i can see if there is any problems with the sectors and such. I am also going to take out all my usb connections, my second hard drive, and my second cd-rom. I will then i guess reseat my ide cables and attempt to run the setup running only one cd-rom and one hard drive.

One other quick thing i could do is ghost an image off of my labtop. Any idea how long that could take? Also, where in the registry would i change the key to my second copy of XP?

Long process, 13+ hours spent on the computer so far... Anything else anyone would suggest would be welcomed.

try a different hard drive. i got both of those errors, as well as others, when trying to install on known-bad hard drives. (dont ask why, but i was)

Back