• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad news...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

My pump just ins't going to fit in my case like I wanted it to.

Could I mount it on the top of my case like this:

topmount.JPG

Would that be a problem with the pump at the highest point?

Granted, I've never watercooled. and granted, I probobly never will either. but, woulden't having the punp, which moves the water, at the highest point help it move more water as it would be working with gravity as well? same principal as a heart, kinda

Yeah that sounds good! Lets hope so, because there is 90% chance I'll end up having to do this unless it really wont work right. I've never water cooled either, so I really dont know if there's something I dont know about that would not make it work right, or as good as if it was mounted on the bottom of the case. I think it would actually look pretty cool though... never seen it done before either lol.

well since you do the 180 degree and a 90 degree bend it will add a bit of restriction. Also since air rises doesnt that mean it will go to the highest point aka the pump so the pump would be full of air??? What you could do is turn the pump around so that the outlet points down into the case.

I think you would get best performance if you route your tubing otherway around ie. pump->cpu->rad->res->pump.

It just wont work on the bottom of the case. The case is too small. The video card will be in the way and cause all kinds of problems. It just wont work on the bottom of the case :(:(:(

I am not sure of exactly what you face in the way of difficulty, but I will say that creativity and being stubborn can do wonders.

Along with careful planning of course. ;)
Case in point-
Water Cooled mATX LAN PC

Crammed inside that case is a radiator, pump, dual 120mm thin radiator, two 80mm intake fans, a watercooled cpu, northbridge and water-assisted full size ATX power supply, along with a cd burner and hard drive.

I may have a few advantages in that I have done a few H2O systems and heavily modded computers as well, but...

You may be able to fit everything if you REALLY want to-
You may have to sacrifice a few degrees for the mobo and/or cpu to do it, of course...

An internal pic of the system as planned (with mobo and cards, etc) would help.

BUT- to answer the original question:
Yes, mounting your pump on top of the case will be fine- location really matters little in a closed loop. What does matter is how tight the bends are and how restrictive the system and fittings are.

An alternative to this would be mounting your radiator externally- this would probably free up more room in the case, and get you an improvement in temps as both intake and exhaust to the rad never enter the case.

If you mount the pump with the inlet pointing straight up, is the video card still in the way?

you will have a very hard time getting the pump primed (filled with water) if you put it at the top like that. If you do put it there, you will either need to fill the system with a T-line which goes above the pump, and bleed the air out of the system at the pump, or you will have to lower the pump to get water into it when yo first fill the system.

gungeek, yeah... Im like 90% sure the vid card will be in the way. Well.. ill be able to go around it, but there would be at least 2 kinks from doing it that way is what it looks like.

I really need to get the heater core mounted to be 100% sure if the pump will work out on the bottom inside of the case or not. That comes in tomorrow, so I should have it figured out by the end of the week.

From what you're all saying though I should really try not to resort to mounting it on the top of the case, so I'll try my hardest not to :)

For optimal flow rates when using a reservoir, you must keep your loop as level as possible. Just like an inground pool, you cannot have the pump too high or too low in the loop or it won't have enough power to move the water.

Thanks, I'll remember that.

I'm going to try my hardest to get it mounted inside the case but I just dont know if its going to work out or not.

I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all the help again! :D

:)

Well, one of the reasons you want the pump lower in the case is because it's easier to prime the pump as most pumps we use need to be primed before being powered on. And since you'd be using the bayres, it'd be difficult to prime the pump at the top of the case. Once primed and operational, position and location matters little.

SewerBeing said:
nartac I believe greenman101 already proved that what you suggested is irrelevant and will yield .5c at most (an excellent read for everyone). If you have to mount it on top consider what I posted above.

SewerBeing, I'm not talking about temp here. What I'm talking about is loss of pressure performance since pump pressure is somewhat reduced due to large volume on the reservoir. I guess this would also lead to eventual increased of water temp since there is a reduction of the pressure to go through the restrictive points such as radiator and blocks. Correct me if my hypothesis is wrong.

@nartac the pressure in a loop is equal, therefore it does not matter. Also a reservoir is not all that restrictive since its not tight or makes tight turns. Now the way he would see a difference (maybe) is if he took out the reservoir and put in a T-line. Please read greenman101's article, you will see it makes no difference how the loop goes.

I have been here long enough to know that there is very minimal, if any, temp changes at any point within WC system. Forgive my naiveness and perhaps forgetting my physics, which I took many years ago, are you saying that a pump with x pressure going through perhaps 1/2" tubing going to a reservoir with a certain volume has the pressure at the inlet (from the pump) same as the outlet? As you can see, greenman100 never included a reservoir in his loop example. If you have a T, then I would say that the system most like have same pressure but not if you go through a res first. In other words, my thought is that the pressure at the res inlet has an x pressure but the res outlet will have y pressure (less pressure) since some pressure will be dissipated (for lack of words) due to larger volume of res compared to 1/2" tubing. If the res is fully filled and no air present, then I would say, yes, that may be close to a T line but otherwise I would say no.

I think people are getting a little confused about the whole pressure thing. Pressure doesn't matter, flow rate does.

A pump does nothing but create pressure across it's intake and exhaust, and this is what causes the water to flow. This pressure (referd to as head) is then lost to friction through the lines, corners, and other flow restrictions.

Your flow rate will be the same through your entire system. Where you put the pump and the amount of head you have at the blocks doesn't matter. What does matter (not much though) is the heat generated by a pump, especially if it is submersable. If you put the pump after the radiator and before the blocks, the water going thorugh the block will be slightly warmer than if the pump had been placed before the radiator. This difference in temperature will be extmely small though, and unless you have a very hot pump running submersed in a resevoir, you will probably not be able to see the difference.

Back