• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to buy anti bacteria solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gentleman

I recently noticed my tubes getting cloudy. I am just using distilled water in my loop. I realized that this was stuff growing in the water. I am using silicone tubing so I can't add water-wetter (which I usually use to kill the bacteria). I have seen some people use bacteriacide (sp?) with good results. Where do you buy this stuff? What is it called? How much does it cost?

Thx

Use methynol. I think you'll need a perscription to get it though. I don't think water wetter is an anti-bacterial agent, but I could be wrong. Try a pool supply store if the methynol thing doesn't work out.

could you use iodine ( sp)

i know they sell it at backpacking stores to purify water so that should be enogh to keep things dead

also ive always marvaled that something can live in closed system like that no air no light nothing i can think of to eat

i would think that if you left it long enogh it would use up all the food in the water and just die by its self

use anti-freeze dude, itll kill any bacteria... it acts like a bacteriacide... i'm surprised some1 didnt mention that to u earlier...

wfarid said:
use anti-freeze dude, itll kill any bacteria... it acts like a bacteriacide... i'm surprised some1 didnt mention that to u earlier...

im not sure that it does

it makes the water more base but im not sure if actually kills anything

So does antifreeze kill bacteria? I never heard that it does or not. Would it make my siliconce tubing go weird if I did add some antifreeze? I know that waterwetter is bad for silicone tubing... not so sure about antifreeze.

sorry i didnt clarify, antifreeze stops the growth of algea and bacteria, it doesnt kill it.... I would clean out my tubing and what not and then use distilled water and antifreeze (15% anti-freeze, and 85%distilled water is a good mix)...

Is that 15% anitfreeze by volume to water or is that by concentration. Cause i think antifreeze from the bottles is pre-mixed already. Sorry to be picky, I just wanna know the right concentrations.

Thx

Anti-Freeze will absolutely prevent ANY biological growth in your system. I've had my system running for over a year and there is no growth even with the case open all of the time and 28C ambient 24/7-365. As wfarid said, clean out your system to remove any debris which has formed and then fill the system with the 15-85 antifreeze / distilled water solution.

One other benefit of anti-freeze is that it will lengthen your pump life, as it works as a lubricant as well as a biocide.

Back