• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Install Freezes...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chibahawk

Registered
Ive been trying over and over to install XP on my new PC.....here's what happens, it starts off ok I pick a partition to install on and it copies all files, but then when it's supposed to restart it goes but when it comes to the Windows XP screen where the blue progress bar shows its loading windows the bar will most likely freeze at some point and then i have to restart manually...the thing is the bar will freeze at random spots so obviously somtimes it gets further then others so I restart over and over and then I get to the next step

Next step is the one that has the XP screen with all its features and it finalizes the install and all that....so anyway there's four green dots at the bottom right that show progress and light up back and forth...so even if i get to this screen, it freezes again

Any ideas? real bummed out about this..

What are your system specs, and is this a slipstreamed install of XP (if so, is it SS'd w/ SP1 or SP2), or are you trying to install using the original XP CD?

MSI K7N2 Delta-L
Corsair 512 PC-3200
AMD 2600+ Mobile
Seagate 160GB HD

This is a brand new setup and the disc is just the normal XP Corp

Is that one 512MB stick of Corsair, or two 256MB sticks?. If the latter, are they installed in a dual-channel configuration? Are you trying to install XP at default clock, w/ memory timings at default (SPD) also? Have you tried installing XP by either loading "Optimized" or "Fail-Safe" default BIOS settings?

Edit: I thought his post looked familiar Matt.

redduc900 said:
Is that one 512MB stick of Corsair, or two 256MB sticks?. If the latter, are they installed in a dual-channel configuration?.
One stick of 512..as for being set up in dual channel - Ive got no idea..im pretty much newbed out to looking at my BIOS and seeing what could cause a problem with windows freezing on install

redduc900 said:
Are you trying to install XP at default clock, w/ memory timings at default (SPD) also? Have you tried installing XP by either loading "Optimized" or "Fail-Safe" default BIOS settings?
I havent changed a thing after putting all components in

Now, sup OG...reason why i didnt post this in my other topic is because after I put on my AS5 and made sure the heatsink was nice and tight my power never gave out, so my official problem doesn't seem to be power or stuff like that now its somethin else and it didn't really seemed linked to my CPU heatin up a little

As for being set up in dual channel - Ive got no idea
Is the one stick installed in the one DIMM slot furthest from the CPU? This is where it should be located...not in one of the two slots closest to the CPU (the two slots closest together, and probably colored blue). Your MB manual should specify which slot to use when using a single stick of RAM.
I havent changed a thing after putting all components in
Look in the BIOS (normally listed on the menu options screen) for a setting called "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Fail-Safe Defaults". If you're unsure of some or all of the BIOS settings, I would recommend loading optimized defaults (if the setting is available)...at least until after you get the OS installed.

redduc900 said:
Is the one stick installed in the one DIMM slot furthest from the CPU? This is where it should be located...not in one of the two slots closest to the CPU (the two slots closest together, and probably colored blue). Your MB manual should specify which slot to use when using a single stick of RAM.

Look in the BIOS (normally listed on the menu options screen) for a setting called "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Fail-Safe Defaults". If you're unsure of some or all of the BIOS settings, I would recommend loading optimized defaults (if the setting is available)...at least until after you get the OS installed.

Ok....at first I had my memory in the DC slot but before I read this I figured that was probably it and moved it to the lone slot

Also, I set the BIOS to Defaults...the one thing is I have never updated my BIOS, is it possible I need to get a newer version before I do anything regarding an OS? I asked this a few times and never got an answer

Regarding that if that is the answer my MB came OEM and I dont have the software cd, however I have my MB's site and link to BIOS updates its just I need some way of introducing a medium but not via floppy as im without a drive

I have never updated my BIOS, is it possible I need to get a newer version before I do anything regarding an OS?
If there's a BIOS update available for your board, I would strongly suggest flashing it.
I need some way of introducing a medium but not via floppy as im without a drive
You could burn an image of the BIOS *.bin file to a bootable CD using Nero Burning ROM or Easy CD Creator. I believe you would need to use a program like Floppy Image v1.5.2 to copy the BIOS file from a floppy created on another machine, then use your burning software to load the image. You can find Floppy Image here...

http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/floppyimage.html

A few MB manufacturers that I know of have software available whereas you can flash the BIOS from within Windows...you might want to check to see if MSI has anything like that available.

Ok lemme ask for a lil more breakdown there..if I download the BIOS update on to this here computer and just burn a bootable CD with the two files for the BIOS update would that be enough? What im puzzled about is you talking about Floppy Image..are you saying I have to put the two files I DL onto a floppy disk on my working system and then use floppy image to create a burnable image that I can then burn to cd?

updated my bios....no dice..

install still freezes at random spots - what a mess

Back