• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install anything on windows.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

When I try to install anything on my friend's computer, it says that C/WINDOWS/system32/DRIVERS/ETC/HOSTS does not exist! It is there though. The programs install even with this error, but you try to run them they just don't run. I have no clue what to do.

I will assume you have done a good run of AV, gotten updates, and removed spyware using a method very similar to the malware warfare guide in my sig. Post a log of a Hijackthis scan as an attachment if you could, so I can see if there are any remnants of anything on your system.

Run the system file checker, with your XP CD in the drive. XP right?

Issue this at the command prompt:

sfc /scannow

The rest of the switches can be found by issuing sfc /? instead.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Thanks. I followed that malware guide on the main site already, and hijack this showed up nothing either. It also has all updates except sp2. I guess I did a good job of keeping his system safe since I installed it a month ago. I really couldn't find the culprit to the problems. I ran that scan now thingy, and it helped me fix the problem. Thx.

Hey, what I did was I used a repair installation of xp. It kept all files and programs and settings, and stuff can be installed now.

Back