• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best ram!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerkid

hey whats the best socket a ram. I dont care about the price, it can either be 2x256 or 2x512. i want the best overall. it will be running in a dfi with a 2500m. thanks

killerkid

Muskin Level 2 Black PC3500 BH-5, but you won't find it, unless you pay $600 on e-bay or in classified. Otherwize, Corsair or Kingston BH-5. I would get the 2x512. If you can't get any BH-5 or BH-6, OCZ pc3700 rev.3 or 3200 rev. 2, or GSkill, basically anything with TCCD chips.

How can you tell which Corsair or Kingston have the BH-5 or BH-6 chips?

cetoole said:
Muskin Level 2 Black PC3500 BH-5, but you won't find it, unless you pay $600 on e-bay or in classified. Otherwize, Corsair or Kingston BH-5. I would get the 2x512. If you can't get any BH-5 or BH-6, OCZ pc3700 rev.3 or 3200 rev. 2, or GSkill, basically anything with TCCD chips.

question, i know someone that is selling this

2x 512 Mushkin PC3500 LVL 2 BH-5
2-2-2-5 timings

that the right stuff??

mata2974 said:
If you peel off the HS you will see # that ends in xxxxBH-5 or xxxxBH-6, very easy

I thought kingstons had relabled theirs and you had to go by the date code on the chips? I think KHX3200/512 are BH-5 and KHX3200A/512 are not...

What are you trying to get out of this ram? A high fsb without mods? Then BH5 is a waste of time compared to several of the IC's that you could choose. The top one to buy right now is TCCD chips. They are found in PQI and OCZ ram. Found by their 2-2-2-5 timings.

The next best would be either BT D43 or mt -5BC chips. Both can be found Kingston VR 256 sticks, and I have the BT D43's right now. The Hynix BT D43 will reach a almost guaranteed 260 fsb, but the timings have to be very loose. That is the only way that hynix will overclock. If you want tighter timings, go with Hynix DTD5 found on OCZ Gold pc3200 rev.3's I believe. they will reach BT D43 fsb speeds, but with tighter timings.

The best overall right now would be the TCCD chips, because of their flexibility. They can run 2-2-2 up to a 215 fsb, and will run to a 300 fsb on 64's or P4's. Do some research in the memory forum before just buying BH5 because of it's name. It has kind of died out, because from what I've seen, it's not what it used to be.

err hes gonna sell me the above ram for 290.....if you can find a link to better stuff tell me asap!

skeen, is it a better deal to get the mushkin bh5 that i know will do well?? he just sent me a pic of it doing 255 fsb at 5:4 ratio on his intel system.

killerkid said:
skeen, is it a better deal to get the mushkin bh5 that i know will do well?? he just sent me a pic of it doing 255 fsb at 5:4 ratio on his intel system.

I'm not really familiar with what the 5:4 means. Does that mean that the RAM is at 255 and the CPU is at ~205 or vice versa? If the RAM is running at 205 at those timings, I say big deal. If indeed its 255 then that's something else.

One thing to consider. You will probably not be able to achieve that high of FSB on your NF7 without a vtt or vdimm mod.

Also the PQI is cheaper and you can RMA it if it doesn't perform well.

well i went ahead and bought the ram. im in the process of building a new rig. i will have a lian li case, with 3 120mm fans, 2 laser cut on the side, 1 laser cut in the back, and 3 80mm, 1 ontop and 2 in the front. its all blake with a nice side acyrlic window. I will have a dfi infinity ultra mobo with now my new mushkin pc3500 level 2 bh5 2-2-2-5 ram that will hopefully let me do 250fsb 1:1. also i just recently got a new 9800pro that does 412/420 perfectly fine. the ram may even be able to go higher once i get it sinked, im just using the arctic cooler rev 2.0 on it now. Well i gotta run im running outta class time lol. i will keep you updated.

killerkid

That ram should be awesome in that rig, you should get around 250 1:1 2-2-2-11, and if you want more, that board can be modded. What core is your 9800 pro, you might be able to flash it to an xt.

Just be warned, that that bh5 is going to require rediculously high voltage to get it even close to 250 mhz with any kind of tight timings. the reason the samsung tccd is so popular is it can do 2-2-2 at 2.75 volts and will do up to about 220 on that if you get quality stuff. my corsair wont, it needs 2.8 or somthing but woopy.
Ifi had the money now, I would totally go for the ocz pc 3200 platinum rev 2. that **** is consistantly attaining ultra high fsb, but can still do the 2-2-2.
that bh5 will need like 3.3+ volts, so be ready to kill it.
also, dont get your hopes TOO unrealistic about how high your fsb will go for athlon xp. it may be a mobile, but that doesnt garantee anything more than low voltage.

Yeah, that was what I was trying to tell him. DFI's don't handle high vdimm very well, and so he'll have to mod his board to ever reach a 250 fsb with that ram. The TCCD and Hynix will reach a high fsb with low voltage, but the timings won't be as nice. Then you have to compare the benefit of a higher fsb over tighter timings, and the fsb always wins if it is high enough.

The Platinum Rev.2's is the ram that everyone with a A64 is dreaming about, because it overclocks so well. But, the BH5 will do fine, it will just require a board mod to reach the higher vdimm and vtt.

Back