• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TCCD at 2-2-2-5 250+ Mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its nothing more than a die change. Everyones TCCD should do about that soon....depending on PCB and some other things, but you get the idea

Basically anything being made from now on will be.... depending how much stock the company has it could be longer before the new chips filter in.

Will these chips need as much voltage as the one posted at xs? At that much voltage, it seems bh-5 has been reborn.

The modules pictured in post #133 of the XtremeSystems thread linked below are of the Mushkins reviewed by PCStats, which have a mfg date of 431, so anything after that date (approximately Aug 1, 2004) should be from the new revision. It would be safe to assume that the high volume retailers are going to get rid of their old stock quicker so they would be the safer bet to have new stuff, possibly even the PDP stuff, since it was later to come to the market, would be a good bet.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44527&page=6&pp=25

Doesn't Everest (formerly AIDA32) and some other software report the mfg date of ram? That would be a way of finding out without having to take the spreaders off.

Edit/Correction:
The manufacturing date info is diplayed by CPU-Z (ver 1.24) in the SPD tab. I thought it was available in AIDA32, but now can't locate it so I was probably just confusing the two tools.

Last edited:
Reefa_Madness said:
The modules pictured in post #133 of the XtremeSystems thread linked below are of the Mushkins reviewed by PCStats, which have a mfg date of 431, so anything after that date (approximately Aug 1, 2004) should be from the new revision. It would be safe to assume that the high volume retailers are going to get rid of their old stock quicker so they would be the safer bet to have new stuff, possibly even the PDP stuff, since it was later to come to the market, would be a good bet.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44527&page=6&pp=25

Doesn't Everest (formerly AIDA32) and some other software report the mfg date of ram? That would be a way of finding out without having to take the spreaders off.

good observation.. also its good to remember these modules could be an anomaly. i experienced something similar with some simpletech nitro pc4000. (later revision chips that only responded to 2.9 volts max)a while back.
both sticks maxed out in the low 290's at 2.9 volts. having tested alot of the later hynix chips i knew 2.8/2.9v to be about their max.. however for some reason one of the sticks just picked up and flew (310 mhz)when i increased the voltage to 3.2.

flapperhead said:
good observation.. also its good to remember these modules could be an anomaly. i experienced something similar with some simpletech nitro pc4000. (later revision chips that only responded to 2.9 volts max)a while back.
both sticks maxed out in the low 290's at 2.9 volts. having tested alot of the later hynix chips i knew 2.8/2.9v to be about their max.. however for some reason one of the sticks just picked up and flew (310 mhz)when i increased the voltage to 3.2.

I don't think that they are unique.

One of the OCZ guys even stated that before long everyone's TCCD would be this way because of the die revision. All of the new TCCD will be based on the new revision. They don't do much between 2.8-3.1, but take off after that.

Bet you that sales volume of DDR Boosters will go up once this becomes common knowledge. I recently ordered an A64 3000 (939) and a MSI K8N Neo2 Plat to play with. One of the reasons I chose that board was because that mobo will play nice with a Booster and I wanted to see what bh-5 would do. I may have to break down and buy some Samsung in a few months (next year's budget) and try it at 3.4 (Booster's max on that board).

Edit:
It just occurred to me that I may not have to wait. I've just received my RMA exchange last Thursday of 2 x 512 OCZ PC3200 Rev 2 so it may very well have the new chips, plus I'm waiting on an RMA from PQI. Wouldn't that be sweet if as a result of the originals not working, I ended up with 2 gigs of the new stuff to go with that new A64/MSI mobo!

Not a bad swap for just the cost of shipping. I can only hope.

Last edited:
ok took the heatspreaders off my pqi and the sammy chips have the "431" at the end. Seems like the more voltages I give it the more errors when i was still using hte ocz booster. I did have a fan over the modules

i would love the thought of getting over 250+ with tight timings, definately checking back in this thread as soon as more info is found

situman said:
ok took the heatspreaders off my pqi and the sammy chips have the "431" at the end. Seems like the more voltages I give it the more errors when i was still using hte ocz booster. I did have a fan over the modules

Situman, do you have a dmm to check your vtt with? Lately I've become rather leery of the OCZ Booster due to the way some mobo's track vtt. If your board happens to be like mine it will set the vtt via your bios vdimm setting and not by what your ram is actually getting. I.E. you set 2.8 vdimm in bios so your vtt gets set to 1.4. Now you crank the Booster up to 3.3v, but your vtt is still down at 1.4 and suddenly you're unstable.

Just a thought.

Maybe an OCZ guy can speak to the general vtt tracking specs across the huge market of mobos? Is this a widespread problem? Do most mobos need to be vtt modded for the Booster to work properly or do most track vtt dynamically or "on the fly" by checking the real volts the dimms are getting?

situman said:

Were you going over 3.1 or did you stop at 3.0 or 3.1 because you were getting no results. If I remember correctly, in one of the threads over at Xtreme, it was stated that between 2.8 and 3.1 the additional voltage did not help and in fact, hurt performance. It was only after you exceeded 3.1 that the additional voltage resulted in increased performance.

You might consider going back and re-testing with the Booster at levels in excess of 3.1v to see if in fact it does allow you to run 2-2-2 at faster fsb.

Thank for the reply.

That is interesting because the chips used in the ram reviewed by PCStats were dated 431, like yours. It is possible that there were some of both revisions manufactured during that week, I guess, or that they were producing both, but that is less likely.

We will have to keep an eye out for mfg dates to try to get a better idea of when the change took place.

Styyn said:
Maybe an OCZ guy can speak to the general vtt tracking specs across the huge market of mobos? Is this a widespread problem? Do most mobos need to be vtt modded for the Booster to work properly or do most track vtt dynamically or "on the fly" by checking the real volts the dimms are getting?

From what I have seen it's only Abit boards that do not track VTT properly. Asus and the rest seem to have used a different method :clap:

this is silly to me... i mean the only way you are going to see a difference as opposed to running these at low volts and a tad looser timings is if you are a benchmark junkie correct? lolz...

Back