• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unofficial biocide thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surreal

'Surreal please contact Krag ASAP'
I want to start a biocide thread with names of biocides, testimonies, where to buy, and links.

In the forums there are conflicting view points.

To start off:

copper sulfate pentahydrate crystals
iodine

I only have experience in the Cu sulfate. It is a algea killer. Did not dissolve well in my test setup.

My personal goal is to find a biocide with a long life and can be found at Wal-mart, Lowes, ect.

Last edited:
biocide with long life? Try bleach.

I refill my bucket cooler quite frequently, but bleach is serving me well in keeping congestants off, and my room has a nice smell to boot.

I imagine it would work in a closed loop too, since it doesnt have anywhere to evaporatve

"Chlorine and bleach are a bad idea because they will tend to increase dissolution of copper by oxidizing it to Cu2+. Also, Cl- will complex much of the Cu2+ in the water and increase solubility." - pH

greenman you might have an easier time just putting that in with the search in your sig, posting it to threads here as often as you do ;)

Bleach is actually very corrosive, as indicated by both its datasheets and ionic makeup. The chemical formula for bleach is NaOCl, Which is ionic and in water becomes Na+ and OCl-. Ions in solution will lead to galvanic corrosion, as previously noted, as well as bleach's natural tendency to corrode.

just quoting, in case he didn't want to read @Overclockers.com

Betadyne (spelling?)
My dad uses it all the time for surgical purposes.
It's pretty much synthetic iodine as I understand it, or a variant of it, kills germs for a living.

where can I buy iodine locally? ie walmart, ect. THe place i live is not much for other products than mall stuff.

Surreal said:
where can I buy iodine locally? ie walmart, ect. THe place i live is not much for other products than mall stuff.

I was wondering that also, I got Providine Iodine solution from my local drug store. Its only 10% Iodine. The grocery store said the drug store would be the only place to get iodine and the drug store said thats all they had =(

Koolance sells this blue crap in a bag that uses womens yeast infection creme agents as biocide. Maybe pick up a tube at your local drug store :p.

Anyways, what about plain rubbing alcohol?

iodine crystals

Crystal iodine can be purchased at tack and feed stores here in SoCal. I think they use it on horses hooves or something. It is also used in the manufacture of methamphetamine, so be prepared to show ID to purchase it.

I talked to my chem teacher, and she recommended that I use crystalized iodine, dissolved in 95% or better Ethyl alcohol. That combined with a little low-tox antifreeze is what I'm planning on replacing my current loop of distilled water and rubbing alcohol with, as I'm getting a white'ish built-up in the system.

I got some humidifier bacteriostat..... (HOLMES brand)

Active ingredient: dimethylbenzylammoniumclorides..........

Keiron said:
I talked to my chem teacher, and she recommended that I use crystalized iodine, dissolved in 95% or better Ethyl alcohol. That combined with a little low-tox antifreeze is what I'm planning on replacing my current loop of distilled water and rubbing alcohol with, as I'm getting a white'ish built-up in the system.

oO, so rubbing alcohol didn't prevent stuff from growing within the system?! Dang, I was just about to use this idea too...

I place some plexiglass pieces in a jar of rubbing alcohol and a few days latter the plexiglass appears to have "melted."

I jacked my own thread. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Propylene glycol anti-freeze. Excellent biocide, corrosion inhibitor, and pump lubricant. Cheap, available everywhere. Use 5-10%*. In my system here in the tropics, I have a clear res and my machine is in a nice sunny room. After nearly 2 years, I have no growth of any sort, perfectly clear tubing, beautiful shiny copper inside my waterblock and a silent, reliable pump.

How's that for a testimonial ;) ?

*Yes, it will increase your coolant's viscosity a small amount, but the effect is negligable. The benfits far outweigh the costs.

Last edited:
Back