• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Solid State Drive Technology Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
True the RAM-based drives are quicker, but thats just not the same IMO. Rely on batteries and never seem to have enough space for OS + everything else I'd want to be using it for. I have to admit those RAM drives look fun as hell for playing PCMark.

You really think anything RAID 5, or even RAID 6 for that matter, would compete with those ioDrives? I highly doubt it but would be pretty cool if that's true.

Nice to see ya back in action Dom. ment to get back in touch with ya about atom review, got lazy after the vacation! :O

well hey i dont know of you saw these ssd drives?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...40636 50002015 1421541071&bop=And&Order=PRICE
slightly cheaper then OCZ yet have faster xfere rates, to good to be true? dunno after i pay my umm speeding(at least it was in the BMW not the truck,lol) ticket, if i can stretch i will get one or the 32giger's for atom.

*edit*
look what caught my eye,tonight
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15346

They are crap look here http://forums.legitreviews.com/about16784.html

I have to admit those RAM drives look fun as hell for playing PCMark.
Yes, they have different use - RAM SSDs are for heavy work speed-up (mainly for all kinds of cache). Flash SSDs are good for quick data load, especially in database/web applications, but wery slow in writing. Not recommended for intensive write apps such as caching and the like (wear out).

You really think anything RAID 5, or even RAID 6 for that matter, would compete with those ioDrives? I highly doubt it but would be pretty cool if that's true.

ioDrive uses 10 cheap 80 MB/s modules in a RAID-like array. So some times may be as fast as 800 MB/s, 5 STEC ZEUSIOPS in RAID5 will give the same productivity (200 * (5-1))

By the way, have a look at http://www.vmetro.com/category4304.html - don't you see something familiar?:beer:

Last edited:
Well I gave up on the IODrives and did this instead. Still cant wait to see Doms review on the IODrive though.

Well Intel's drives are supposedly rated for 100GB a day for read/write. Thats not half bad with a 5 Year SSD life span. Now if you do a lot of stuff on the system surely it will limit the drives life but still not horrible, if its doubled count me in since I'd still be leary with if gaming if im not writing files to the HDD all the time would count tword the life span, and Vista isn't the best since it can create quiet a "recovery" file.

well, i got in touch with the guys at io a couple of days ago, too, asking for some information regarding linux/win compatibility, pricing, availability of capacities <80gib and most important - at least for me - bootability with recent intel chipsets. i got a reply just some five hours later, which merely contained a vague statement about "drivers for windows and linux", some shipping and ordering details and the all-well known specs leaflets. no valuable information, that is, so i wrote another email again insisting on details on the above topics and asking if there are any non-synthetic benchmark results available, too. up to now, i did not receive any answer.

it seems to me that, if you're not giving them the impression that you're gonna buy half a dozen of their drives, you should not expect too much interest in yourself as a customer.
if i'm right about that, it would be a pity, because i think that there are a lot of enthusiasts or database freaks around who would like to give these drives a go for private purposes. i, for one, need to make up my mind now about waiting and hoping or simply raiding my ssds as a kind of interim solution.

Last edited:
well here in the next month or so im looking to get either the ocz summit 120gig or the vertex 120. thought about the vertex-ex but damn the cost, it is SLC after all.. i have looked a bit but i havent seen much in ssd's that is making me :drool: though what can you do when your waiting for SATAIII spec since the current SSD's are tapping out SATAII transfer rates.

well here in the next month or so im looking to get either the ocz summit 120gig or the vertex 120. thought about the vertex-ex but damn the cost, it is SLC after all.. i have looked a bit but i havent seen much in ssd's that is making me :drool: though what can you do when your waiting for SATAIII spec since the current SSD's are tapping out SATAII transfer rates.

Mmmm SATAIII

Yeah be nice to get SATAIII but SSD's still have a ways to go still IMO. They might get up to the limit of SATAII but there not 100% consistant at that speed.

I could care less which one I get, all I know is I want one thats reliable, and fast. If it tops out a SATAII channel IMO thats fast, in benchmark throughput its as fast as my Raid 0 640 gigs on the front half of the drive.

SLC would be nice but cost is WAY to much. Give me a nice 150-200Gigs of drive and I'll be happy. Weather I have to Raid0 a bunch of the drives or its 2 drives or 1 drive thats semi reasonable in price count me in. And if they fix that TRIM deal in 64-bit or if its working in Win7 RC or RTM then i'll jump on the boat.

Quick Q - Would there be any performance difference between a pair of 80GB X25M's in RAID-0 on a ICH-9R (Maximus Formula) versus an ICH10R (P5Q-Dlx)? I'm currently running the Maximus Formula, but I'm seriously pondering swapping to the P5Q-Dlx for its P45 (rumored to be a better OC'er with 45nm Quads) - and I really think my Maximus is "so-so" (appears to be a repaired RMA that I bought as an Open Box)...

Time is of the essence, so a quick reply would be FANTASTIC!

Quick Q - Would there be any performance difference between a pair of 80GB X25M's in RAID-0 on a ICH-9R (Maximus Formula) versus an ICH10R (P5Q-Dlx)? I'm currently running the Maximus Formula, but I'm seriously pondering swapping to the P5Q-Dlx for its P45 (rumored to be a better OC'er with 45nm Quads) - and I really think my Maximus is "so-so" (appears to be a repaired RMA that I bought as an Open Box)...

Time is of the essence, so a quick reply would be FANTASTIC!

should be about the same xfer rate with the newest drivers from intel. the ich10r might be a bit faster but without numbers to go by its hard to say. keep in mind though with the onboard controllers they will be limited much quicker then say a true hw raid card. your read speed is more then likly going to cap out on either ich9/ich10 around 200-300mb/s. that is the limitaion of onboard raid. also keep in a mind i havent been around much reading new reviews or posts on the forums, so im bound to be a bit off.

should be about the same xfer rate with the newest drivers from intel. the ich10r might be a bit faster but without numbers to go by its hard to say. keep in mind though with the onboard controllers they will be limited much quicker then say a true hw raid card. your read speed is more then likly going to cap out on either ich9/ich10 around 200-300mb/s. that is the limitaion of onboard raid. also keep in a mind i havent been around much reading new reviews or posts on the forums, so im bound to be a bit off.

My 4 disk raid 0 does 400-450 MB/s reads/writes on a ICH10R. :)

Nice. I think we can safely say the ICH10R controller will not be the bottle neck.

Gotta like those access times but until the $/GB come down I'll stick to This. :).

Here's my X25-M

diskt.jpg

Guys, give me a few days. I am going to update, condense, and add more information in a pleasant type manner to the front page of this. I am sick of the old fashioned original way that I put this together.

It was so exciting at the time that any information we found I just plastered up on the screen. Give me a few days to update and clean up.

-D

Back