• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Solid State Drive Technology Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys!

You seem to know what's happening, so I figured I'd ask here - since I'm an SSD newbie ;)

I currently look at buying 1x64GB SSD, but there are so many choices out there. I know I can get the SATA2 OCZ (120/100MB), Crucial SATA2 (SLC?) (150MBps), and the Mtron Pro 7000 disks. Are any of these good, or should I shop around for something else?

Cheers!
:beer:

I'm about ready to order a Gigabyte i-RAM, but WTF, it's only SATA 1.5gb/s and regular DDR. If they make one that holds DDR2 (4x2GB would be fine) and uses SATA 3gb/s with a PCIe x4 interface, I'm all over it.. Even at double the price of the regular i-RAM, that's still under $250..

I just spoke with someone at Gigabyte, he gave me some information that's making me :drool: but he kinda told me in 'confidence' .. How confidential can the information be if he gave it to an anonymous tech support caller? I'll respect it though, and not give details here. Anyway, in a month or two, expect to see something very awesome coming from Gigabyte. I can't friggin wait.

I know I can get the SATA2 OCZ (120/100MB),

Where did you find this drive? I'm looking at ocz's site and I only see a sata2 that does 100/80mb/s

I'm looking to pick one up myself.

thanks

I submitted an idea to microsoft this morning to sell a pre-loaded SS with vista64 ultimate we can just plug in an go! put my raid set-up or what-have-you as slaves for storeage. Keeping the SS HD just large enough to run the OS, thus keeping the price down. i would think it'd be great for a new machine-built too. superfast OS, with your choice of storeage.

Is this a good idear, or am I just thinking retarded¿ :p

I submitted an idea to microsoft this morning to sell a pre-loaded SS with vista64 ultimate we can just plug in an go! put my raid set-up or what-have-you as slaves for storeage. Keeping the SS HD just large enough to run the OS, thus keeping the price down. i would think it'd be great for a new machine-built too. superfast OS, with your choice of storeage.

Is this a good idear, or am I just thinking retarded¿ :p

It would have to include drivers for every piece of hardware and motherboard known to man.. Better off just installing from DVD to SSD and going from there :)

sh0dan,
the ST 120gig drive isnt worth it... 120MB/s read 40MB/s write.... better of waiting for a bit longer, cause Intel/Crucial are working a SSD drive.

I thought i'd run this question in this thread too in a shortened version, since nobody seems to answer my other thread.
I'm planing on buying 2 (or 3) Mtron 7035 (sata2) 32gb SSDs, these are the ones of the second type with 130read 120write, and putting them in raid0 for OS, programs and games.
I wonder if these will give full performance on Asus fx790 mobo, or if i need to purchase a raid controller.
If i need a raid controller, will the rocketraid 2310 be enough? (I live in norway, so i don't have unlimited acess to raid cards on our online stores).

The reason i think of chosing the mtron pros is the scaling, and they own benchmarks on launching apps and loading, and i hate to wait XD

****UPDATE**** 8/18/08

Great news ladies and gents. I have just received an email from FusionIO about the new Windows ioDrive. The President/CEO just contacted me through email and said to me in a short sum up "dominick, how about that windows beta ioDrive we owe you?". It looks like my private review site Next Level Hardware will be receiving an ioDrive after all!

I have been MIA for quite some time on here, waiting for some newer SSD releases before publishing any information. I had tested a pre-production OCZ SSD as well as the Memoright GT 120 with dissapointing results which I decided not to publish. But the ioDrive article will be published and brought to OCF ASAP and first as always.

Regards,

Dominick

Nice to see ya back in action Dom. ment to get back in touch with ya about atom review, got lazy after the vacation! :O

well hey i dont know of you saw these ssd drives?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...40636 50002015 1421541071&bop=And&Order=PRICE
slightly cheaper then OCZ yet have faster xfere rates, to good to be true? dunno after i pay my umm speeding(at least it was in the BMW not the truck,lol) ticket, if i can stretch i will get one or the 32giger's for atom.

*edit*
look what caught my eye,tonight
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15346

Michael I am still awaiiting your reviews!!! LOL
Send them over bud. I didnt have a chance to take a look at those ssd's that you mentioned. I am looking at putting most of my resources into the new windows ioDrive.

Dom

"Do-it-yourself" affordable SSD

The idea is not absolutely new, but up to some months back was not really useful - there were no necessary hardware handy.

Just look at http://hardwareforall.com/ww/serverRAMdisk.html
(a 16 GB ultra-fast RAM SSD may be built at less than $2500 if non-server h/w is used). Well, Gigabyte i-RAM will cost less, but what about 128GB RAM SSD at about $10 000?
:santa2:

Hey dom nice to see the ioDrive review might still happen. I may even buy one if they manage to not mess up the windows drivers. Long as those suckers work as they should I don't see anything even coming close to their performance for quite awhile. Not cheap though no question about that. But what do you expect for the fastest drive in the world.

But what do you expect for the fastest drive in the world.

Do not forget the word "flash". For most RAM-based SSDs this is a "child play".

Really it is just a 10 flash-disks RAID array - put 5 STECs in a RAID 5 array and they will run faster.

Think the price (per GB) will be no less too.

Back