• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hacker May Get Into My PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Hi

I have just recently purchased Norton Internet Security 2005 it's fully updated & I thought I'd test my security from there website. Before I had Norton 2003 & Firewall 2003 my results showed that I was top for security issues. But my results for Norton I.S 2005 have 1 little problem in my report for hackers it came up with a open port which is below in the attachment.

Is there anyway I can make this safe like block the port. I've no idea where to begin

Many thanks.

I think this should work for norton 2005 otherwise there will be something similar (not sure though but give it a shot)

1. ok open norton firewall click on options
2. select norton firewall under options
3. click on the tab labeled firewall
4. under advanced security settings make sure stealth blocked ports is selected and permit all except suspected attacks is selected
5. click ok
6. also make sure intrusion detection, security, and personal firewall are enabled
6. then run the security check again and hope this works (worked for me)

Pinging is the least of your worries. As was said, being pinged just says, yes this ip is occupied. A lot of broadband companies use this method to give a different ip address, so don't get too into it.

ok steps to prevent hackers from getting into your pc

1) Uninstall anything with Norton in the name
2) Get a hardware firewall. (ex. router, smoothwall...ect)
3) Drink a beer

Xenocide said:
ok steps to prevent hackers from getting into your pc

1) Uninstall anything with Norton in the name
2) Get a hardware firewall. (ex. router, smoothwall...ect)
3) Drink a beer

Agreed, for extra paranoia grab zone alarms software firewall in addition to step 2 that Xenocide so kindly provided. I know that does not sound like a good solution but.......OMG SYMANTEC/NORTON........

Don't know how many times I have heard people come to me saying, "I think I have a virus or something, my computer is acting funny." Me: "Is anything Symantec or Norton related installed." Person A: "Why yes, of course, I have Norton, blah blah blah." Me: "Well you have a virus then, let me get over there & clean it up for you & get some real protection." Person A: "WHAAA, Norton is the most trusted, reputable, & used application ever." Me: "Thinking that is mistake #1."

I Don't Mind Norton To Be Honest.

I prefer Norton over McAfee anyday I had McAfee V7 and there live update wasn't working properly waited for a patch to come out. McAfee's answer release V8 instead 45 god dam quid that cost V7. Anyways back to my question so techincally I should be ok for now yeah well if it's not as bad as I relised then I'm ok.

That's funny. Nowadays even "ping" is dangerous... geez.

Anyway, I suggest not using any software protection. Those virus scanners, firewalls, and the like just eat up memory and processing time and for some reason they always cause more trouble than they prevent. Honestly, get a hardware firewall like a Linksys router. You won't have any trouble unless some diehard out there is specifically gunning for you for some particular reason.

Back