• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upping FSB on a 333 chip. (Memory)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mhamm

Registered
Well here's my story...

I have an Athlon XP 2700+

Before, I was running a stick of 512mb PC-2400 at 133 fsb. I bought a gig of the Patriot PC-3200 2-3-2-5 timing ram from Newegg, thinking I can use this ram well into the future with an Athlon 64 and a new mobo.

Well, my chip only supports 333 fsb, but can I still run this ram at 400? (200x2), it's stock speeds? Or will my chip not support this? I run it at 180 right now and it seems fine, my multiplier is at 12, so im running at 2.16.

Just some insight would be nice, thanks.

What is your motherboard?
Most motherboard allow you to use two different default settings with mem/fsb dividers.

For example my processor is an xp 2100+ with 133fsb x13 =1.73 ghz
my ram is samsung pc2700 ddr 333 (fsb 166)

So my board uses a 4:5 fsb to mem ratio

4x33 =133 for my cpu and 5x33 = 166 (ddr333) for my ram.

In most cases it is better to run 1:1 ratio
The problem is when you overclock these dividers will not hit your default mhz... for example your xp2700+ has a stock fsb of 166 *I think* (so your mobo would have a 5:6 to run your proc 5x33 =166 fsb and your memory 6x33 = 200fsb)
when you up it to 180 this divisor is a little off
180/5 * 6 = 216mhz (ddr432) which is overclocking your ram slightly)

What I would try to do in your case is fsb of 200 with a 1:1 that will give you nice OC
gtg hope this helps

Yeah i understand what you're saying. I do have divisors - i run an Epox EP-8RGA+.

I tried to run my ram 1:1 at 200 fsb, but i would only get past post and part way through XP load screen, and then it would just keep rebooting.

I thought this happened because my chip only supports 166, so I thought i could only clock up from 166, and not even reach 200 fsb with a 1:1 ratio.

I would like to just run this ram at stock speeds at 200 fsb at 1:1 - but I don't see my chip allowing that.

{PMS}Fishy has his PC2100 at 190fsb stable...hope that gives u some help =)
if your computer reboots, download memtest86
throw it on cd as an ISO using a program called ISO Recorder
or format a floppy and put it on that, whichever suits u.
Put it in the comp, reboot and let it run.

If you get errors, it means your ram is unstable, and you can figure out from there

*please note* none of those programs have spyware, nor cost anything. have fun, hope i helped

I will run that memtest tonight once i get more blank CDs...

But what my main concern is, I know my ram is PC3200 and will run at stock speeds of 200... but is it my actual processor (2700+) that is prohibiting me from running at this speed, since it is only a 333fsb chip?

I would love to keep it at 1:1

Back in the day I had a 2700+, and ran it at 10 x 200 without much problem. It will probably take a voltage bump to ~1.75v if my memory serves correct.

mattspalace said:
Back in the day I had a 2700+, and ran it at 10 x 200 without much problem. It will probably take a voltage bump to ~1.75v if my memory serves correct.

I just can't get my computer to run at 200fsb. I tried my CPU at 166 and set my ram by SPD - it recognized it at 200. No go there. Upped my voltages a bit on my ram, CPU, and VDD, that didn't help at all. Laxed timings, didn't help.

I can only really get my computer to be stable around 190, but this ram is made for 200... what could be preventing me? Arg i wanted stock ram speeds.

I got it to boot once with 200 fsb and it made it through sandra with measely scores of ~2600/~2400, but crashed when i tried running FireFox.

It shouldn't be your ram as it is guaranteed to run ddr400, but maybe you got a bad stick. Did you memtest it? I dont understand why the divider won't work. Make sure you flash to the latest epox bios...

Then again it just may be your proc. from 166 to 200 isn't a huge jump and i know it can be done, but we aren't always blessed with unlocked barton 2500+ either so...

Flashing the bios is a good idea. What voltages are you running exactly? and yes, I would suggest running each stick through a memtest loop to make sure both are good.

Ugh the Epox website is just horrid - i will flash bios asap.
I will have to run memtest and take my time on this late tonight or even sunday.

Voltages:
CPU: 1.80
DIMM: 2.77
VDD: 1.8

but what just popped into my head is my PSU. I just got a new video card - a 6800. And im sure thats sucking a lot of power. Well i have an Enermax Whisper 433 watt PSU - but i got a bad batch one. My voltages from Motherboard Monitor are as follows, whcih i am NOT happy about:

3.3 rail: 2.74V
5.0 rail: 5.03V
12.0 rail: 11.73V

Those 3 volt and 12 volt rails are horrid, could this possible be hurting me?

Definately... Voltages on friend generic psu were bad like that... Then one day it got really bad and blew up (literally sparked and smoked).... Didn't damage his parts but i would look into it.

mhamm said:
Ugh the Epox website is just horrid - i will flash bios asap.
I will have to run memtest and take my time on this late tonight or even sunday.

Voltages:
CPU: 1.80
DIMM: 2.77
VDD: 1.8

but what just popped into my head is my PSU. I just got a new video card - a 6800. And im sure thats sucking a lot of power. Well i have an Enermax Whisper 433 watt PSU - but i got a bad batch one. My voltages from Motherboard Monitor are as follows, whcih i am NOT happy about:

3.3 rail: 2.74V
5.0 rail: 5.03V
12.0 rail: 11.73V

Those 3 volt and 12 volt rails are horrid, could this possible be hurting me?

I recommend that you check the ATX power connector. I have gotten a low 3.3V rail reading before because of a loose ATX power connector.

Also, when overclocking the processor core, if Windows starts crashing and rebooting, increase the Vcore value!

Back