• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Longhorn question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunnerMan

LongHorn is schedueled for relise at the end of 2006...my question is will this OS be 64-Bit, 32-Bit, or will they have two versions of it for 32 and 64 bit users?

I think it would be best if they did it in 64 bit as AMD is already there and Intel has their 64 bit comming out at the end of 2006 also....thanks for the info... :D

Well I did a search on it and found a web site that looked like it answered my question I foun it at PCWorld HERE I guess there will be two versions wich seems sencible I guess.. It also says the final version is expected relise in 2006;)

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2004.asp

"Instead, the Beta 1 release will be the next major milestone and it's now due in early- to mid-2005. There will be a PDC in 2005, but not this year. And Longhorn will hit the release candidate stage in early 2006 and likely ship to customers broadly by mid-2006."

Intel has 64-bit chips out now with the Xeons and I'm guessing that most of their mainstream chips will have it long before the release of Longhorn. I don't know where you're getting 2006 from. The upcoming Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (link) will support both AMD64 and EM64T.

LMAO, well I have a friend that ofered me the first BETA of longhorn...she works for M$ so she gets these things and stupid me said no to the offer but maybe now that I have a second hard disk I can get the BETA from her and see what shes gonna be...Win64 is relised free in BETA syage rigt now but I just downloaded it and burnt it to a disk but it dosent want to boot from it :/

Gunner man it won't boot unless you make the cd bootable with a program like nero. If anyone knows how to make a cd bootable like ms does then please inform cause I would love to know. As an aside longhorn will be a seperate operating system xp-64 is something different which will be availible next year I beleive. Just one more way for ms to make boat loads of $$$$. Think about this next year everyone will buy xp-64 then 1 yr later everyone buys longhorn or xp2 whatever they decide to call it. @ 150 a pop with millions of computers I'm gonna buy me some MS stock.

That tut totally lost me, I got ISOBuster and extracted the Boot Image and it extracts it as Microsoft Corporation.img and Nero as far as I know only alows the boot image to be a .IMA file...

Haven't tried it yet but rename the IMG file to IMA. I've found this works most of the time when dealing with picky programs. The contents are usually the same and changing the name of the file won't change the contents. I'll be trying this later myself as I'm anxious to see it work correctly. But after all it is new years eve and I'm gonna start drinkiing in about 2 hrs so prolly not today. :beer:

The version I have (Nero 6 Ultra 6.0.0.28) lets you use any files. Where you select the image file there is a dropdown menu for the file type, if you go to "Any Files (*.*)" as opposed to "Boot-Image-Files (*.IMA) then you can use the "Microsoft Corporation.IMG" image file. When I do that and follow the other instructions the procedure always worjks for me, I am typing this on my computer which is running my XP cd with SP2 which I made following those instructions.

Well the M$ thing I downloaded came in iso format. I went to Nero and downloaded their latest software. When I go to make a Boot CD in it it wants an .ima file, if I say no do it to the .iso it dosent work. I went in and renamed the iso to .ima to make it happy and it burnt the CD but my computer would still not boot from it..

urm, how big was it, I downloaded the real ms corporation.img and it is a very small file. Did you download the whole of windows XP because that may have been a ISO file (like 500mb.) These two pictures show me adding microsoft corporation.img in Nero. The file is 2.00kb in size, check the size of yours.

Attachments

• forgunnerman.PNG
    forgunnerman.PNG
    34.8 KB · Views: 46
  • forgunnerman2.PNG
    forgunnerman2.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 45
my school computer techie is a member of msdn and has let me have an alpha release for FREE WOW it will only be 64 bit no matter what anybody says. the techie spoke wiv bill gates directly! it will, be under 180$ about 90£ ish wont be more than 200$. will be beta released for public in mid 2006. commercial bug free *crosses fingers* in Q1 of 2007

Back