• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget DDR5 Max Clocks AM5 list?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
How well are kits like the Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR5-5200 CL40 Dual Channel Kit (2x 32GB) or other 5200-5400 etc kits doing with Overclocking?

Often kits are running the same silicone as much higher ranked kits but need a bit more voltage to do it.

Would be a neat list to make some 64-GB kits are the price of 32-GB kits and if they clock well enough could be a budget option without much loss.

Wonder if any will run 8000mt

Most brands are using Micron, Samsung, or worse Hynix IC in 6000 or lower kits. You can check many series on motherboards' QVL.
What's more, you can find Micron IC up to 6400 (I think it was Corsair), which won't go much higher. As I remember, there is even a 6800 CL40+ kit on Micron IC, but with very relaxed sub-timings. I was surprised they pushed it so high, as I saw no point in more than 6400 on the same IC.

A good bet is to buy anything 5600+ CL30/32 as it will be Hynix, and from new batches, mostly Hynix A-die so will go up to 7600MT/s+.
Kingston Renegade RGB 64GB 6000 CL32 (white heatsinks) is Hynix A-die, and I pushed it up to 8000MT/s on AMD. Older black heatsinks were Hynix M-die, but it was probably replaced in new batches. New G.Skill should be Hynix A-die too.

In short, it works like with most DDR4. If XMP has tight timings, then it's Hynix. If it has CL40 in the new DDR5 series, then it can be everything. Some brands have listed IC in general specifications, so if you find anything interesting, then you can check the product's website.

Another thing is that prices are going down, and these cheapest kits are not so much cheaper than something guaranteed to be good. I haven't seen anyone hunting for cheap DDR5 recently, just because there is not a big difference in price between most kits. No one says to buy a 7200+ kit, but 6000-6400 kits are nowadays quite cheap.

So in short get A-Die if you want to try for 6400+.

Hynix M will make 7200+ too, but at higher voltages. Compare it to about 1.45V vs 1.55V at ~7200-7600.

I don't think I have seen Samsung IC in any review sample in 8 months. All memory series that I remember, and aren't anything like CL40+, are using Hynix nowadays.
Some brands use almost only Hynix now, like Kingston, V-Color, KLEVV (Hynix brand, so there is no other IC), new Patriot (Xtreme 5, Elite 5), ADATA 6400 or higher, every new G.Skill CL30/32 5600+, and some more, will be Hynix.
Micron is only in low frequency and high latency kits, like 4800-5200 CL38, 6000 CL42, or up to 6800 CL44. It's also in all Crucial kits, as it's expected because Crucial is a Micron brand.
In short, it's hard to find anything else than Hynix if you buy at least a 6000 kit, at less than CL40.

The linked kit is Hynix A. If I'm right, then all retail 7000+ kits nowadays are Hynix A. On the front page, there are some reviews: Patriot and KLEVV 8000, ADATA 7200, Corsair 7000, and G.Skill 6800, all kits with Hynix A-die. All OC about the same.
On motherboard QVLs, you can find other ICs and higher than standard voltages, but Hynix M at 6800+ was only in early samples and memory series that never hit the stores. For example, Gigabyte motherboards have 7200+ Gigabyte memory kits on the list with Hynix M and 1.55V voltage. I don't think anyone saw them in stores. The same I don't think that Samsung-based 7000 1.55V kits were in stores.
Motherboard QVLs are very confusing as most 6800+ memory kits were only test samples, and retail products are different. For example, most manufacturers don't release retail DDR5 memory kits at more than 1.45V. I was surprised that KLEVV has 1.55V kits (last review).

I already need 48/64GB kits for my gaming PC. Yesterday I checked the resources of my PC, and it reached 32GB RAM with CPU at about 70% load for most of the time.
Btw. in the link under the 32GB kit is a 48GB 8000 kit that costs $30 more. I will review the G.Skill 48GB 7600 kit soon (the same IC as 8000), but I can already tell you it passed the stability test at 7600 on AMD and is overclocking up to 8000 (for some reason, I can't make any kit boot at more on AMD).

I had no time to check how high memory overclocks on AMD at 1:1, but the latest G.Skill press releases suggest that with new BIOS, it can make 1-2 ratios more. It would give 6400-6600 1:1, which is possible at CL28-30. I'm just giving ideas to test ;)

Last edited:
Back