• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5-6400 CL32 - F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some Z690 motherboards can't make more, some can't even make 6400. I'm not sure if anyone here set something higher on the Z690-P. I don't think you will see any difference at a higher clock. 7000+ usually gives that +1% compared to 6200-6400, and even the best Z690 motherboards have problems with that.

Hi everyone.
I'm new (VERY new) to ram overclocking, and have no idea about what most of the timings/subtimings do...i'm slowly learning.

I took the XMP profile (6400-32-39-39-102 @ 1.4V), lowered tCL to 30 and tRAS to 48 (arbitrary value to be fair i could optimize it), still at 6400 @1.4V, system agent on auto at 1.275

Any thoughts? I just want to gain some more out of that XMP profile for a chill daily usage - i don't need extreme performances. Both memtest64 and prime95 are stable... can i achieve more at those voltages and/or is it even worth it?

Last edited:
:welcome:

Tell us some more information. Please include the RAM brand an model number (is it this G.Skill kit?). Different models have different ICs and they have different characteristics when overclocked.

Also tell us your motherboard make & model as well as CPU make and model. Chipsets can have an impact on overclocking and Intel - AMD CPUs handle RAM overclocks differently too.

:welcome:

Tell us some more information. Please include the RAM brand an model number (is it this G.Skill kit?). Different models have different ICs and they have different characteristics when overclocked.

Also tell us your motherboard make & model as well as CPU make and model. Chipsets can have an impact on overclocking and Intel - AMD CPUs handle RAM overclocks differently too.
It's the ram kit mentioned in the main thread here (F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK)
Currently on a gigabyte z790 aorus elite ax, 13700k (-100mV adaptive, x54 all pcores, stock ecores)

One weird thing i noticed (but i only tried a couple of times) is that while testing the ram kit with 1T instead of 2T, prime95 runs but i totally lose control of my cpu cooler fans (corsair icue h150). So my cpu thermal throttles (and fans are gone until i reboot), but there are no errors whatsoever testing.
I'm kinda confused - might also be a combination of the undervolt+ram tweakings (??)

Last edited:
If you have good airflow in the case (like at least AIO on top, next to RAM), then you can try 1.45-1.50V. RAM may lose stability at higher temps, starting from ~62-66°C+ (depending on the frequency and some other things), so if it crashes in any test, then check if it wasn't too hot before you start adjusting timings or other things. I don't remember how it was with this G.Skill kit, but V-Color with the same IC runs in my small ITX box at 66-68°C 24/7 for maybe 2 months. It seems too hot, but somehow it works without errors.
Keep hwinfo64 in the background, as it remembers all the sensors and works much better than any motherboard software.

I was checking Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX with Hynix M-die (like in this G.Skill kit) up to DDR5-7200+, but it wasn't easy to stabilize. I recommend checking something around DDR5-6800 CL32-40-40 lower tRFC, 480-560, tREFI to the max (I don't remember how much this motherboard had). It should work at 1.45-1.50V. If you notice any instability or that RAM is too hot, then try CL34 at a lower voltage.
In this generation, focus on frequency and later play with timings.

On your cooler, 13700K should run at 5.5-5.6GHz on all cores, but the motherboard sets weird voltages, so you have to play with settings to have stable ~1.35V (maybe less, depending on the CPU). At 1.4V+ it will overheat in long CPU stability tests but will probably run fine in games.
The latest BIOS is adding a 6GHz option, and it works fine, but expect it's like default/auto settings with a single-core turbo up to 6GHz, so overall performance is not much different.

If you have good airflow in the case (like at least AIO on top, next to RAM), then you can try 1.45-1.50V. RAM may lose stability at higher temps, starting from ~62-66°C+ (depending on the frequency and some other things), so if it crashes in any test, then check if it wasn't too hot before you start adjusting timings or other things. I don't remember how it was with this G.Skill kit, but V-Color with the same IC runs in my small ITX box at 66-68°C 24/7 for maybe 2 months. It seems too hot, but somehow it works without errors.
Keep hwinfo64 in the background, as it remembers all the sensors and works much better than any motherboard software.

I was checking Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX with Hynix M-die (like in this G.Skill kit) up to DDR5-7200+, but it wasn't easy to stabilize. I recommend checking something around DDR5-6800 CL32-40-40 lower tRFC, 480-560, tREFI to the max (I don't remember how much this motherboard had). It should work at 1.45-1.50V. If you notice any instability or that RAM is too hot, then try CL34 at a lower voltage.
In this generation, focus on frequency and later play with timings.

On your cooler, 13700K should run at 5.5-5.6GHz on all cores, but the motherboard sets weird voltages, so you have to play with settings to have stable ~1.35V (maybe less, depending on the CPU). At 1.4V+ it will overheat in long CPU stability tests but will probably run fine in games.
The latest BIOS is adding a 6GHz option, and it works fine, but expect it's like default/auto settings with a single-core turbo up to 6GHz, so overall performance is not much different.
About the cpu i'm currently at 5.5 all p-cores @ -50mV , stock ecores, and it's stable (for now atleast, stresstests also work so... we'll see on daily usage)

About the ram, the mobo doesn't have an actual max value for the tREFI (you can type an integer up to 999999).
Tried living fREFI stock and put 6800 32-40-40-102 with 480 tRFC @ 1.45V and it's not stable (prime95 bsod) so i guess i'll have to learn and experiment more

When you set 999999 then it should automatically drop to ~65k or ~250k, it depends on the motherboard. Higher is better, but sometimes too high causes some stability issues. In most cases, it works at the maximum value.
You can try CL34 or 6600/6666 CL32, or 1.50V.

Hi, im new with OC. Im reading a lot. I have this memory kit paring with 13600k and a msi pro z690-a.... i want to low latency principally.

With XMP latency seems to high? 71ns, i dont up voltages yet, so is all at stock

Last edited:
Ok so... i'm back to tuning the RAMs. I really just want something comfortable 24/7.
Took the XMP profile, bumped to 6600, lowered to vdd and vddq to 1.35V, sa to 1.2V.

Seems to be working, will test for longer as soon as i have more time. Writing here because... i didn't expect it to run testmem5@anta777 for more than few seconds

I can't get voltage for the same kit more than 1.49 on Rog Strix z790e with i9.
Have no idea why...

Got BIOS error code 55; which means RAM can't be found.

Ok so... i'm back to tuning the RAMs. I really just want something comfortable 24/7.
Took the XMP profile, bumped to 6600, lowered to vdd and vddq to 1.35V, sa to 1.2V.

Seems to be working, will test for longer as soon as i have more time. Writing here because... i didn't expect it to run testmem5@anta777 for more than few seconds
Nevermind, y-cruncher ram test crashes near the start (3-9%). Kind of expected.
Simply running stock XMP 1.4V but 6600 instead of 6400 and that's actually stable, i guess i'll keep it. Raising tREFI increased instability

Hi,,
This post helped me to choose which ram to use, so I will share my actual timing :

overcloker.jpg

I have a cpu 7600x stock (no oc), stable in memtest86 and in game with these timing (2x16 go)
I tested 28 34 34 34 but I had BSOD in game. Ram is at 1,45V in bios. Purchased the both ram at 190 euro in mars 2023.

Hi,,
This post helped me to choose which ram to use, so I will share my actual timing :

View attachment 361942

I have a cpu 7600x stock (no oc), stable in memtest86 and in game with these timing (2x16 go)
I tested 28 34 34 34 but I had BSOD in game. Ram is at 1,45V in bios. Purchased the both ram at 190 euro in mars 2023.
hmm i wonder if your having the same problem i am having. no matter my speed or voltage or anything i am getting random crashes, things are testing ok and i cant reproduce it outside of games.
temps are inline and everything. the one time it did blue screen it did give me the memory management error but other times it hard locks or drops to desktop.

i see most of your specs there, are you running windows 10 or 11 and any recent chipset/driver changes?
I notice your bios has been updated to the most recent with the 1.0.0.7a agesa, did these problems start after that bios update?

I have the same when timings are too tight or clock is too high. For example at 6400, most RAM kits are passing nearly every stability test, even at CL28, but at the same settings are randomly crashing in games. I have to set 6200 and CL30 to keep it stable in everything (CL28 works too, but requires a much higher voltage). I just run 6000 CL30 daily, as this is XMP for RAM in my gaming PC.
It can be IMC, motherboard or some single timings. At 6200 I have no problems to stabilize Hynix, Samsung or even Micron. At 6400 it's random.

i'm still confused why its doing it at lower speeds, like lower than 5200.
maybe i need to reassess my voltages

edit:
i'm trying the buildzoid easy base timing settings and made some changes to infinity fabric clocks, mem clock divider and bumped some dram voltages a tiny bit to combat droop if there is any (1.415)
i'm running furry donut of doom and really cooking things. and after about 10 minutes, if i dont crash, i'll load a game that has been crashing and see if theres any change.

the donut is to heatsoak things before i start the game, trying to see if its related to heat. the ram always seems fairly cool and theres 9 120mm or larger case fans in the system so airflow shouldnt be a problem
while i am on that topic, its 2023 there should be temp sensors in dram by now

Last edited:
i see most of your specs there, are you running windows 10 or 11 and any recent chipset/driver changes?
I notice your bios has been updated to the most recent with the 1.0.0.7a agesa, did these problems start after that bios update?
I'm on windows 10, with latest update and the MSI bios 7D75v164beta. Can't say if I had BSOD before flashing bios but I confirm that these actual timing are very fine to play intensive game (darktide, TTW3).
I'm not interested to have 6200 or 6400 MHz on ram, it doesn't produce any noticeable improvement in FPS according to Igor :
https://www.igorslab.de/en/ryzen-70...ctice-test-with-benchmarks-recommendations/9/
Assetto-Corsa-Competizione-FPS-1440p-2.png

I didn't pushed more the RAM to obtain it's limit, these timing are OK for me.

I'm on windows 10, with latest update and the MSI bios 7D75v164beta. Can't say if I had BSOD before flashing bios but I confirm that these actual timing are very fine to play intensive game (darktide, TTW3).
I'm not interested to have 6200 or 6400 MHz on ram, it doesn't produce any noticeable improvement in FPS according to Igor :
https://www.igorslab.de/en/ryzen-70...ctice-test-with-benchmarks-recommendations/9/

I didn't pushed more the RAM to obtain it's limit, these timing are OK for me.

i didnt expect you too i was just saying i am having the same problem at speeds 4800 5200 6000 and 6400, they all exhibit the same issue your having too.
so after some messing about this is what i came up with:

timings.jpg

so far its ok, but i've only run these settings in game for about an hour after heat soaking it with Kombustor for 10 minutes. No crash in game with a stream going in the background with about 4 tabs open in firefox YET, more needs to be done

most of these are the same as the following video. Voltages between mine and yours are a little off. I've been reading that some times higher voltages to the ram will cause strange problems with certian board and bios combos. i dont see the need to go higher than 1.4v on your MEM VDD, and MEM VDDQ, i see yours is at 1.45, also your MEM VPP is almost 2V it should be around 1.8v at these speeds

this is the base line thing i followed and made some changes that i saw fit to my system, i think you should follow it more closely since it looks like your system is very similar to theirs.

edit: wait i grabbed the wrong link hang on
edit2: ok got the right one now

Last edited:
Thanks for this instructional video.
I lowered the VDD and VDDQ to 1,39V and VPP to 1,8 V. Plus I set the infinity fabrics at 2033 mhz like the guy stated in the video. Dunno if it perform better, but in Aida64 in read memory I have 64173 MB/s, previoulsy it was 63151. Other value dont change. I will test some game today to see if it's stable at this voltage.
overcloker2.jpg

Last edited:
while i am on that topic, its 2023 there should be temp sensors in dram by now
Many (most?) DDR5 have them. Hwinfo reads them. I thought some ddr4 did too...? It's there. ;)

i'm running furry donut of doom and really cooking things.
Im confused...Furmark?

1. Furmark to test system memory? It's a gpu test. How much system RAM is used in those stress tests??
Edit: I see you use it to heat up the system...

2. Both AMD and NV called it a power virus, fyi. Not good for testing clocks on gpu because it throttles cards 100-200mhz below where it runs in games (setting dependent, but...). I haven't used it in years since they said that in review materials.

Back