• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5-6400 CL32 - F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
In this review, I will present the latest and the highest speed G.Skill DDR5 kit so far released. Even though we can see on various QVL that motherboards were tested with DDR5 up to 7000, then we won't find anything above DDR5-6400 in stores or product lists. I assume it will change soon but right now the DDR5-6400 at CL32 is both, the highest frequency and lower CL kit on the market, so let's go with the tests.

Some more data is on the G.Skill website - click here so I won't have to copy all that ;)
The tested kit is black with RGB illumination. As with all G.Skill kits, also this one has pretty good support on the motherboards' side and also all other hardware that uses RGB and LED synchronization. There were no problems with ASUS or Gigabyte motherboards.

gsk641.jpg

gsk642.jpg

gsk643.jpg

In the F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK memory kit, G.Skill is using Hynix IC. There is no brand that trusts Samsung at so low CL but I assume we will get there in time. Hynix generally likes higher voltages but more relaxed sub-timings. For DDR5 most sub-timings don't matter so much so if you are lucky to the memory kit, then it doesn't matter if it's Samsung or Hynix, performance will be similar. Of course, sometimes it requires some manual settings. Hynix still seems more compatible with most motherboards and easier runs at higher frequencies.

The tested memory kit costs about $600 on Newegg. It's a lot but I still covered that from my pocket. Some competitive memory kits from Team Group cost even more and have worse XMP, so let's say it's still not as bad as it could be ;)

Stability at rated specs

The XMP profile also works well. At first, I thought that the motherboard has problems but after clearing CMOS and retraining, all problems disappeared.
Below is a screenshot from the AIDA64 stability test performed on the ASUS Strix Z690-I Gaming motherboard. This motherboard was recently added to the G.Skill QVL.

GSKILL_pic1.jpg

Test results

For now, only results at CL30 but this is what most users expect buying a CL32 kit (unless want to run it at XMP). I'm not adding results at more relaxed timings as even at CL30 I was reaching the frequency limit on my test platform. CL32-34 is possible at 1.35-1.45V, depending on frequency. For example, you can set something like DDR5-6400 CL32-38-38 at 1.35V but this is almost the same as the XMP. I will add something at CL28 but to reach that, is required 1.65V which isn't comfortable for 24/7. I also forgot to save the XMP results so I will add that in the following days.

Looks like it's one of the best if not the best DDR5 memory kit on the market right now. It's pricy but if you want to run DDR5-6400 CL32 out of the box then it's the only option, that also overclocks great.

You can already share your thoughts, add comments, or your results on G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 memory kits.

Attachments

• 1644918554701.png
    1644918554701.png
    428 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Have you tried the testing the latency with the e cores off and your ring at like 4.8-4.9 to see if it scales?

AIDA64 has an option to use P-cores for the benchmark so disabling E-cores shouldn't matter. However, I didn't try that with disabled E-cores.
I was testing with higher bclk and it slightly helps in some benchmarks but not much. In AIDA64 are clearly wrong results as bandwidth and latency are scaling in a ridiculous way. I reached 180GB/s and 32ns at XMP settings and 190MHz+bclk.

With some luck, I will get ASUS Z690 Apex at the beginning of the next week and I will try to push the DDR5-6400 kit some more. I have no idea if it's going to be any better than the Strix Z690-I Gaming.
Soon there will be G.Skill DDR5-6666 and DDR5-6800 kits in stores but at CL40/42. ASUS already added them to the QVL of the Strix Z690-I Gaming. I assume that DDR5-7000 will be about max for the current generation and Gear 2. Most motherboards have problems working past DDR5-6400/6600.
Btw. Strix Z690-I Gaming doesn't even boot at any DDR5 ratio above 6000+ at Gear 4, so I couldn't check how high the RAM will boot or if the current limit is caused by the IMC or RAM itself. I doubt it's the RAM as I hit the wall at 7000-7200 when the RAM still can have CL32-34.

Last edited:
I just registered on this forum to place one question:
How much Voltage can this Kit (I have the same) take 24/7?
I m planning to water-cool the kit without demounting the stock coolers (warranty) so temps won t be a problem.
On my DDR4 i wen t with 1.6V daily.

Thank you really much :)

I assume that no one will say how much is safe as DDR5 is on the market for barely 4 months and I doubt that any vendor tested it at high voltages for longer. Theoretical safe can be as much as RAM vendors put into XMP as max. Right now max that I saw is 1.55V for Samsung and 1.45V for Hynix kits (maybe I missed something). However, everything above 1.45V was for kits that never appeared in mass sales. On the other hand, Hynix kits are scaling better with voltages and at least in my tests, run at a bit lower temps.

Motherboards have profiles at 1.45V for Hynix IC while overclockers usually stop at 1.65V for benchmarking on ambient temps (for quick tests, not 24/7). For some, 1.55V isn't comfortable. On ASUS motherboards, anything above 1.435V is marked as high voltage and you have to unlock it with an additional option.
As you see, it's not like anyone tells you that clearly, and depending on the source you may hear anything between 1.43V and 1.65V.

DDR5 generally does not show overheating up to 85°C+ and if I'm right, the overheating point is about 100°C, but that's for a sensor next to the power section of the RAM. Home/office grade electronics, shouldn't run at more than 75-80°C for longer as it may degrade much faster (it's not a rule but it may). I don't remember on the Hynix kit, but the Samsung one was running at about 85°C at 1.5V.

Maybe another way. 1.35-1.40V is enough for most 6000+ kits to OC up to 6600 at quite tight timings for DDR5, so like CL36. Voltages affect mainly CL so other timings at lower and higher voltages are not much different. As you see in tests, the difference between CL30/32 and CL36 is barely visible. In short, I see no point in pushing the RAM at high voltages 24/7 for 0-1% performance gain or 1FPS in games. I would stop at 1.5V as long as the RAM wouldn't run at 75°C+.
I just feel like the current motherboards and memory controllers are limiting these fastest DDR5 kits so there is no point in high voltages when something else will limit your results.
I'm also not sure how you want to install water cooling on these modules. Easier is to simply install a fan for better airflow and it should be enough.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the reply :)
I ll run it at 1.5V with watercooling. I will install a onesided EK Monarch (where the memory rank is) on the 2 dims as it is a 2 slot Unify-X mainboard.

I really don t want to get the stock coolers off and maybe destroy the chips. Happen to me once. Also the resale value and warranty would be gucci.

I would simply use a fan or better airflow in the case and don't play with water cooling for the RAM. With a 120mm fan, my kits usually stay at 40-50°C max during tests at higher voltages. In mixed load tests, it's not getting really hot without any additional fans.

Btw. share your results once you make it work. MSI Unify-X was one of 2 motherboards I was thinking about but I decided on ASUS Apex. It should arrive this week (there is a delay in shipping). ASUS was simply $100 cheaper, supports M.2 PCIe 5.0 SSD (that is maybe not available yet but should be later this year) and there were some other details I liked more. From the RAM OC side, both should be about the same.

Last edited:
I m building a portable PC for work and this case (lian li air mini) will replace my dusty Corsair 1000D setup as i need a lifter to carry this thing.
I agree the ram is probably good aircooled :D...
It leads to a mora 420 with quick release and cpu gpu is watercooled again. Should be very cool inside that case. I m not yet sure if i should put a watercooler on the ram at 1.5V.

Also Zero RGB this time cause rgb software causes lag and headache...
IMG_20220222_224855(1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_224758.jpg
    IMG_20220222_224758.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
Is this a photoshop/meme? That's a lot of fans!
No i had like 50 fans laying around from my 1000D builds. Gotta keep the airflow strong.
I ll update my results this week and see how it goes with watercooling.

Attachments

• IMG-20200322-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20200322-WA0011.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I guess you won't have problems with the airflow ... I guess ... I can be wrong ... probably ... or not ...

When I think about a portable PC that is still higher overclocked then I have something ITX on my mind that doesn't weigh a lot. The one from this thread has 12900K, ASUS Strix Z690-I Gaming, and handles overclocked DDR5-6000 at 6600+; not the best photo but this is Jonsbo A10 and can still add 2 fans on the bottom - https://www.overclockers.com/forums...r5-6000-cl36-f5-6000u3636e16gx2-tz5rk.800428/

Little update. ASUS Z690 Apex arrived and it works worse than the Strix Z690-I Gaming. I mean so far it looks like this:
  • XMP works only when I set Maximus Tweak 1, but when it's disabled, or I set Maximus Tweak 2 then are errors in memtest
  • At DDR5-6600 are errors in memtest (Strix works 100% stable using XMP profile)
  • 6800 barely boots (on the Strix I could stabilize it)
  • 7000 doesn't boot at all (Strix boots up to 7200)
I have no idea if I'm missing anything but even to make it boot at 6800, I have to set much more relaxed timings than on the Strix mobo.
ASUS added 6666 and 6800 kits to the QVL of the Apex mobo. Somehow I have no idea how it can even work when it randomly boots on my mobo.

In short, my DDR5-6400 kit works on the Apex like on Gigabyte Z690 Master, about which all are complaining.
I saw some pretty good results on the Apex so I wonder why it acts this way. I have to check other BIOSes as maybe the last one is causing problems.

Edit:
The last APEX BIOS 1101 is simply so bad. Using older BIOS, the XMP works without problems and I can boot at 7000. I will test it some more.

Last edited:
My luck strikes again ... Z690 APEX has problems with one memory slot. The first slot passes memtest at max 6400, the second one just passed at 7000. I didn't try higher.
I also found some comments around the web that this issue is not so rare for the Z690 Apex. Some users can't stabilize lower clocks too.

My luck strikes again ... Z690 APEX has problems with one memory slot. The first slot passes memtest at max 6400, the second one just passed at 7000. I didn't try higher.
I also found some comments around the web that this issue is not so rare for the Z690 Apex. Some users can't stabilize lower clocks too.
Msi board load xmp settings like its stock and 6800+ cl32 is no problem it seems with 1.4V. I watercooled the ram and it stays below 40C full stress test.

Ah i read that the apex boards have this problem so annoying... thats the only reason i didn t went with the apex even it only cost slightly more. Ram oc is everyhing i need as the cpu never goes over 250W daily use.

So do you get a replacement? Or you buy the unify X to overclock the gskill 6400?

On the weekende i post an update for the oc results.

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1743.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I decided to try one more Apex. It has some other features that I wanted. Another thing is that I can have Apex on Tuesday while Unify-X can be available in about 2 weeks with shipping. If the story repeats then I return the 2nd Apex and order MSI.

Yesterday I back to the Strix Z690-I Gaming and both slots are about the same. Both can boot at 7200 and both can pass memtest at 7000. Somehow, I don't know why when I use 2 memory sticks then are single errors in memtest at 7000. Like the 1st pass is without errors and in the 2nd pass are 1-3, single errors.

I'm usually not reading other forums or various comments in other places as often it's the user's fault and there is a huge amount of clueless users on the web. However, the Apex slot issues are repeating way too often to ignore.

Look for 2022 production date. I tested older vs 2022 production and found a noticeable difference.

I originally posted results over on another forum and will link them here if that is ok.

The new MB was sent directly from Asus for testing. It came in a regular box with all accessories like you would buy from the store. I dont know if they pretested it or not or what changed from older model.

Last edited:
It's not possible to check when it was manufactured in online stores. Large stores should sell more and order more so I hope that the new one will be from this year, at least if this is the case with the slots issue. Both mobos are from Amazon, just different countries. The new one is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
I don't have direct contact with ASUS because of the way how I review products and my location, so ASUS in my case is always from a store.

Hey again! I've just received this kit today and with the same main timings as you im getting nowhere close to that latency
What did you adjust as your secondary timings?

Try tREFI at about 112k+ and you will see about 3-4ns less and 2-3GB/s higher bandwidth. I say 112k as this was the limit for one of my kits and at 120k+ it was crashing. Gigabyte motherboard has 64k max. I saw some guys running stable at 130k so it's not a rule and better check it on your own.
Most other sub-timings are not helping at all, some are helping but the best if you try it on your own as I noticed that on every motherboard something a bit different works the best. I'm at work right now and I don't even remember all timings.
I would still recommend going as high as you can with the frequency and later trying to tighten the timings. The higher clock helps more than timings. Of course, there has to be some balance.
BIOS also changes a lot so if you have time then try 2-3 versions. For me, the latest versions for Apex mobo are significantly worse than betas from December. On Strix Z690-I Gaming it didn't matter much and I haven't seen any good betas. I have no idea what about MSI but I assume there are special OC versions that are better for OC and benching. At least each Unify generation had that.

Back