• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5-6200 CL36 - CMT32GX5M2X6200C36

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not really sure. Should be better than Gigabyte but It's hard to guarantee anything. If they made the same as in the last generation then it should be close to Unify and Unify runs at ~6600 max. Dominators 6200 run fine at XMP on Unify-X and overclock up to 6666 but it's the only Z690 MSI that I was testing and supposed to be the top MSI mobo ... still a bit disappointing. MSI doesn't support PMIC unlock on this RAM so you will be limited to ~1.43V. At least it doesn't work on my mobo but It's enough for 6400 CL32, sometimes more.

TristianX mentioned that F8e on the Master mobo is causing USB issues and is not fixing anything. I wasn't testing it but previous versions were not working with 6000+ kits and almost every BIOS update has info about improvements for 6000-6400 memory kits. For me, it works well only with ADATA/Samsung kit. I have Z690 Master in my gaming PC with ADATA 6000@6000 XMP as it doesn't work any higher.

Dear Sir,

I know this may be out side of your testing BUT I have to ask. There is a hugh buzz on the net about taking the low end i3-20xxx and overclocking them. This is by using the FSB to increase it to xxx. My question is : how does the memory work with lower speed (5400/5600/5800) then OCed to over 6000.
Does the motherboard still refuse run run at the faster speed?

Thank you

As long as the IMC is strong enough then you can set a higher memory clock on lower chips. Someone was showing a 7k mem clock on a Pentium CPU so it's possible. It works the same as on the older series so RAM has its own clock but bclk is pushing it higher.
No matter if you use bclk or memory ratio, motherboards are still limited to about the same RAM clock.
If I'm right then SA voltage and some more can be locked on newer BIOS if you use lower/locked CPUs. I wasn't testing it but new microcodes are supposed to lock bclk adjustments too. I'm not sure if Intel was only talking about it or actually did that.
To unlock bclk it requires an external clock generator so expect it works only on higher mobos and not even all (like $500+).

I'm not really sure. Should be better than Gigabyte but It's hard to guarantee anything. If they made the same as in the last generation then it should be close to Unify and Unify runs at ~6600 max. Dominators 6200 run fine at XMP on Unify-X and overclock up to 6666 but it's the only Z690 MSI that I was testing and supposed to be the top MSI mobo ... still a bit disappointing. MSI doesn't support PMIC unlock on this RAM so you will be limited to ~1.43V. At least it doesn't work on my mobo but It's enough for 6400 CL32, sometimes more.

TristianX mentioned that F8e on the Master mobo is causing USB issues and is not fixing anything. I wasn't testing it but previous versions were not working with 6000+ kits and almost every BIOS update has info about improvements for 6000-6400 memory kits. For me, it works well only with ADATA/Samsung kit. I have Z690 Master in my gaming PC with ADATA 6000@6000 XMP as it doesn't work any higher.
Replaced the mb for the Tomahawk during my lunch break and so far so good. Running at 6200mhz out the box.

Nice, good to know it works :thup:. Probably it will be similar to higher models and will make 6400, maybe 6600.

Ai, managed to get it to 6400 stable on default timings (cl36) but I had to increase ram and vddq voltage slightly.

Ram voltage 1.3 to 1.35
Vddq voltage from 1.3 to 1.4

Temps just below 50c under load

I can also run at 6600 stable using same voltage with slacker timings (cl42).

Not sure which is better option of the two above. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
For 6600 you will need 1.45/1.45V and it should work at CL32 or CL34-39-39. If it won't work then better just leave it at 6400.

Just realised it’s 6666 46cl 😳 so yeah will try change the voltage again. What’s the upper limit for voltage on these Hynix chips?

…6000 36cl now stable @1.45v; will play with timings tomorrow. Much better than 5600 I had the ram running on the gigabyte mb.

Last edited:
The voltage is no problem as you can go to 1.6V+. The problem is the temperature as it will start generating errors at 70C+, sometimes lower. 100% load at 1.45V is already like 70C without a directly blowing fan. The safe temp is up to 100C+, it's just that OC will be limited above some point.
If PMIC is locked then it won't let to set more than 1.435-1.45V anyway. Depends on BIOS, it was working or not for me on Unify-X.

Good to know. I’m getting around 50c to 55c at those voltages after a 2h memory test. I don’t have a dedicated memory fan but do have 7x120mm fans in the case plus gpu/psu fans keeping it all cool.

It should be fine and when you stabilize 6200 or 6400 then can try some more.
It's 2 am here and I finished putting together ITX PC.

It's the stuff from the last photos in the first post but now in a smaller case - 12600K, Strix Z690-I Gaming, 600W Corsair SF, 32GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 (as my other DDR5 have too tall heatsinks), ADATA XPG 240 AIO (Asetek) and Lian-Li A4H2O. I wanted to use EK AIO but it doesn't fit the motherboard, no matter which way I try. It's either blocking one RAM slot or can't be installed because of motherboard heatsinks. No problems with anything Asetek-based.
RAM at XMP/1.40V shows 68°C max in memtest in this small case. It's also Hynix.
There is space for 320mm/3-slot graphics card but right now I run it with IGP. Maybe I will post some photos later.

Btw. Dominators have better heatsinks than G.Skill or some other brands so should keep a bit lower temps. I see that at 6600, there is no big problem to run up to 75°C without errors. 6666 still runs fine at 70-72°C but at 6800 I have errors in memtest above 65-66°C, regardless of timings or other settings.
6600/6666 may require TRCD/TRP at 40-41 to run without errors. So there is a big chance that CL32-40-40 or CL32-41-41 will work at 6600 and 1.40-1.45V.

Last edited:
Yeah I tried 6800 and it booted but mem test failed almost straight away. More than happy with 6600 just need to try lowing the timings a little, although cl36 isn't too bad for stock ddr5.

Try with tREFI at 100-120k and tRFC at 480 (maybe it's already at about 480 but usually it's more like 600).

Just a quick update - the max for 6666/6800 for one of my Hynix kits is 1.54V VDD and 1.48V VDDQ. The max voltages so it doesn't throw errors because of overheating. It passed memtest like that at 6800 CL32-42-42. The temp during memtest is ~72°C in my small ITX case. I know this kit can make 6800 CL30-40-40 but at lower temps and a bit higher voltages.
I don't think it will work on your mobo at 6800 but you can try 6600.

Back