• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mp3 player rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
OK, I just don't get it. I want a dang MP3 player that has FM radio, at least 1gb of memory, and a lithium ion battery. I've seen players with two of these features, (sometimes plus voice recording, a color LCD, or 5gb+ memory,) for about $75-100. But when all three of these features I want are put together, it's $160+!!!!!!!!!! (And that's for low-quality ones.) Since I've seen all the features I want on cheap players, it can't be that any of the particular features is that expensive. I'd even be willing to pay $200 for a quality player with all those features, but the best players are missing at least one!
So I have five choices:
1. Pay lots of money for all the features I want on a low-quality player.
2. Pay less and not get what I want.
3. Pay more for a top-quality player and not get what I want.
4. Buy two decent cheap players and have to carry both if I want all the features.
5. Not buy a darn thing.

I'm sticking with 5 for now.

i just ordered a creative zen micro for $235 which has everything you want. it may be expensive, but compared to the ipod mini there's no competition.

well what is it goin to be used for? I have 2 mp3 players, one is a 10gb archos jukebox, which stays in my car, the other is a RCA lyra 128mb one that's tiny as heck that I use when I lift...2 hours is more than enough for lifting

i've got 2, ipod mini i got for x-mas (though i would have prefered a nomad) and a nokia 3300 which has a radio and mp3 (only 64MB but it uses memory cards...)

if youre looking for features, i heard the new samsung napster has all of those features. its priced at $250 though and the battery life is rated at 9hrs. however, it does have 20gb of storage. something to look into

the new 1GB ipod shuffle is $149, but it wont fulfill your FM craving. some people are also bitching about the lack of the screen, but IMO, i like the no-screen.

it sucks that all the responses you're getting are suggestions of players that dont fit, but its really all thats out there now.

i just got me zen micro. i have to say, it's amazing. the sound is like nothing else i've ever heard. the software kinda sucks like every review about it says, but i was expecting that. it has an fm radio like you asked and 5gb of storage.

right now high capacity mp3 players are still relatively new to the tech sector. you cant expect prices to just drop down and buy hard drive players for low prices. there is a supply and demand, and right now, there is more demand than supply. as for the features you described, there are many players with those capabilities. if you would look around, you can see that the portable media player is becoming more versitile. look for prices to drop within the next year or so.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
right now high capacity mp3 players are still relatively new to the tech sector. you cant expect prices to just drop down and buy hard drive players for low prices.

The point is that it is clear that these things are NOT that expensive. I can buy TWO mp3 players, each with all but one of the features I want, for less than the price of ONE mp3 player that has everything. I'd rather carry ONE and not have to run back to my computer, or find the other player, or buy batteries every time I wanted to listen to one of my favorite songs or go to the radio. (and most of my "most listened to" will fit in a gig.)
It's also a shame that none of them have AM radio.... but then NONE of them have AM radio, so I can't complain. (Why, though?) :(

I actually DID run across one that has the features I want, but the reviews are HORRIBLE! (As in ZERO good, and about 20 that said things like, "horrible sound," and "died in a week.")

As for the mp3 minidisk players.... I've had my eyes on them. Most are missing the long-life batteries, and are still quite expensive... but I've been thinking about them anyways. They MAY just be my thing.

Back