• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good heatsink for dual Opterons ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SureFoot

Hey
I'm about to build a dual Opteron server. Motherboard will be a Tyan K8SR (S2881). It will be for 24/7 operation, as a DMBS / web services server. CPUS will be Opteron 246. The case will be quite hot with a full RAID 5 array of SCSI 15000rpm drives blowing heat...

Any heatsink recommendation ?
How are the stock AMD HS doing ?

The TT PIPE101 combines with the 120CFM 9cm Sunon fan is a good choice. Keeps the temps nice and low. Lapping this heatsink gives better results as the finish on the base sucks.

If you're looking for a quiet solution then look at something else. Due to the high fin density you need a powerful fan for this heat sink to perform. With a lot of airflow, the heatsink has few rivals. ;)

2 XP-90's with a Delta 75CFM fan (less air than a tornado/delta screamer, but still has the directional air flow fins, and doesnt sounds like a large animal is dying inside your case)

www.jab-tech.com has the XP-90's for a good price, and www.sidewindercomputers.com has the delta fans

it would also help to duct these from the side of your case... help alot if you're gonna have a hot case, cool air going straight to the CPU's

I'd agree with Sneaky, but I'm cheaper than that..... :p

Thermalright products a really expensive in Australia, as I understand the price insn't so bad oversea's so it might be worth looking at. But yeah, the XP-90 is kickass. ;)

Last edited:
another suggestion if you want a little bit cheaper is the zalman 7700cu or al-cu HSF's

with the fan on high, they can cool pretty damn well, and at lower speeds, its some of the best low-noise cooling that you can get

don't know if 2 of them will fit on the mobo though... but maybe (too lazy to search for picture of your mobo)

www.jab-tech.com has the zalmans for cheap as well

Back