• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Superfluous build for home server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

msddos

I'm planning to build a home server multi capabilities for home use. I plan to use KVM/Libvirt/Qemu as the host and my home network has multiple VLANs and IPS running. Now I don't need any of this, I do it for fun and practice for work. I've purchased a
Fractal Design Define 7 which can hold 24 hard drive bays and two 2.5 ssds. I have a retired x99 that I screwed up trying to fix w/ a heat gun and replacing the usb 3.0. I have 4 6TB NAS WD I want to Raid 10, two 6TB drives, and a 18 TB drive NAS Red. I also have a 1TB SSD for the host and a 512 SSD Samsung Pro for caching.

I want to build this to host my own websites, also use it VPN'd in for BitWarden, ownCloud, Gitlab and other such tools. I also will use it as a Samba server for the restricted VLANs. I haven't kept up w/ the current new gen CPUs or mobos in a minute and was wondering what the recommended build would be? I also have a 1660 super and a 650 laying around that I thought I could passthrough for friends in a VM.

So my question is what is the best Intel cpu and chipset current for this kind of set up? Again I've been out of the loop in awhile. I just know they have performance cores and energy saving cores anymore.

My budget is I'd like to stay under 800$.

Thanks.

Which x99 mb do you have? I have the R5E and it has a crap load of sata connections (14), a nvme slot, 5 x16 slots, and 8 slots for mem. I had it running my home server back in 15/16 w/ server 2008. Do you plan on doing any encoding? The i7-5960x (8c/16t) has dropped in $$$ a lot but the i7-6950x (10c/20t) is stil $150+. You can grab a Xeon 12c/24t or 14c/28t for under $100.

Which x99 mb do you have? I have the R5E and it has a crap load of sata connections (14), a nvme slot, 5 x16 slots, and 8 slots for mem. I had it running my home server back in 15/16 w/ server 2008. Do you plan on doing any encoding? The i7-5960x (8c/16t) has dropped in $$$ a lot but the i7-6950x (10c/20t) is stil $150+. You can grab a Xeon 12c/24t or 14c/28t for under $100.
Hey, thank you for the response.

I have a EVGA X99 Classified. Originally I was using it for GPU passthrough w/ VFIO for gaming in Windows and then Linux sysadmin related stuff. I'm going to try and repair the board but I don't expect much success. The R5E sounds perfect but the lowest price I see for it is over $600. So I'm thinking perhaps it's best just to go for something new, although the prices of those CPUs you mentioned is extremely tempting.

Mostly I only planned on placing the GPUs in it because I have them laying around as spares and I thought I'd use one of them for rendering for 3d printing and the other just to have a second VM when friends are over they can use for gaming (passing through the 1660 Super). The server side I'm looking for a dedicated NIC and have it all partitioned off from the rest of the network. Most services I'll require a VPN to access, but I do want to host some web content just to share some insights I've uncovered using Gentoo all these years.

So I guess then I'm questioning just purchasing a new CPU and mobo or replacing the board? If I got a new CPU/mobo I'm not against AMD or anything. I just haven't kept up in a few years on what's the best value out there. I'm currently running a i9-9980XE and a ROG Strix Gaming II, but I use that as my primary computer again (VFIO passhthrough windows gaming), gentoo host side and gpu passthrough for a kali VM. But that is the last snapshot I have of when I did any research on what was available. And I know Intel at least has changed architecture significantly w/ this new Performance vs Efficiency core design.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure of what CPU’s you have on hand. You can find several x99 mb at around $200 and will allow you to keep your equipment. You can grab another x299 mb for ~ $275-$300 and a XEON w-2175 (14c/28t) for under $300. The W-2155 (10c/20t) is ~ $400 and the W-2195 (18c/36t) is ~ $500. The Xeon W-22xx = starts at $900 for the 2255 and over $1500 for the 2275.

^ I just found a listing for a XEON E5-2699-v3 (x99) 18c/36t for $140 on e-bay. The seller has 4 in stock -> https://www.ebay.com/usr/central_valley_computer_parts_inc <-

-> I do not know anything about the AMD side so I’ll leave that to JOE to give advice :cool: :thup:

Back