• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was MS anti-spyware incl in last round of updates?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MurphGuitar

There were like a dozen critical updates put through on Windows update in the last couple days. I let it install all of them. I could have sworn I saw the Microsoft anti-spyware tool in the list of updates. Was it in there? If so, how do I run the program?

Mine did not show up also.
Have done others and it shows up on the desk top and start menu.
WinXP home SP-2 .
Even when I go to Win update site it show NO update .

it was not the anti-=soyware - it was a removal tool for trojans or something, but not their spyware kit - that is going to be sold seperatly and will not be a free update to Windows.

I messed with the MS AntiSpyware tool a little tonight. After running Spybot and Adaware on three machines I then ran the MS tool on them. On two of the three machines they found 1 or 2 items the other two left behind, fairly serious ones to boot. I honestly believe they were just a few remenants (odd files and such) that were left behind when the original problem was corrected with Adaware but cleaner is always better.

On two of the three machines they found 1 or 2 items the other two left behind, fairly serious ones to boot. I honestly believe they were just a few remenants (odd files and such) that were left behind when the original problem was corrected with Adaware but cleaner is always better.

MS Spyware is still beta, and has been known to find things that it says that are serious, but in fact are harmless.

dicecca112 said:
MS Spyware is still beta, and has been known to find things that it says that are serious, but in fact are harmless.

This is true it actually detects Bitdefender Antivirus as being spyware. Not to mention there is already a Trojan out called BankAsh-A which disables Antispyware, it still runs and goes through the actions but does not actually clean anything from your system

Last edited:
Back