• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 hardware questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leak4Heisman

Registered
ok first, my computer is fairly new and it seems to be making quite a bit of dust on the inside. is there any particular reason one computer would make more dust than the other?

my other question is, how do i make Windows XP shut down faster. i have a couple other computers that i didnt build that arent as fast as this one but shut down much faster. startup is fine but shutdown it takes a minute or so.

ok.. For the first question, It could depend on the airflow through the case. Fans could be sucking in more dust if they are more powerful. Second could be placement of the case itself. If it is near a door or walkway on the floor, as opposed to on the other side of the desk, out of the way.. it would get more dust in it from the passing traffic.

As for the second question.. are you running XP on all the other machines? What is the File system on this and the other rigs (fat32/NTFS)? I believe that NTFS shuts down faster (I could be blowing smoke too...). Do you have a lot of programs running in the background of this rig that may not be on the other systems?

Hope that was some help.. good luck

Lee

Last edited:
Question 1- You may want to try a filter on the intake fan assuming that there is one.
Question 2- Xp shuts down rather slow, at least on my systems. (Lee- I'm trying to contradict you and start and argument. I'm just saying what it does on my rigs.)
Good leak, Luck....I mean Good luck, Leak. LOL

Back