• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

40x CD-RW only writing at 16x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
I've tried burning CDs with Nero, Alcohol 120%, and Windows XP, and all of them say the drives maximum speed is 16x, and only give me options to write to a 52x CD-R at 8x or 16x. I used to be able to burn at full 40x on these same CD-R discs, but that was about 10 re-installs of XP ago :bang head . Any ideas on how to fix this?

petteyg359 said:
I've tried burning CDs with Nero, Alcohol 120%, and Windows XP, and all of them say the drives maximum speed is 16x, and only give me options to write to a 52x CD-R at 8x or 16x. I used to be able to burn at full 40x on these same CD-R discs, but that was about 10 re-installs of XP ago :bang head . Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'd delete the driver and reinstall it.

Remove the drive from device manager and reboot. Try reinstalling the chipset drivers too..

Dayton

Already have the newest nForce "Unified Platform Drivers" (5.10) installed. I'll try removing the drive from device manager...

uninstall nForce IDE drivers. I'm not sure it has problems on your board, but the nForce IDE drivers conflicted with the DFI NF2 boards. HTH.

*whisper* JerMe, look at my sig... I've got a nForce 2 Ultra 400 mobo *stop whisper* Considering I have an nForce mobo, I'd bet the nForce drivers aren't causing the problem...

lol I know you have an NF2 board. I'm saying the nForce drivers may be at fault for your CD speed. Have you tried going back to the native windows IDE drivers?

Oops. My retarded brain saw DFI and read right over the rest. Totally ignored the NF2 part. :banghead: I'll mess around some more tomorrow. I haven't tried removing from device manager yet, been too busy playing Uplink and UT2K4... Must sleep now, I have school in 9 hours.

Heheh. Well you're having a CD speed issue, might as well give the IDE drivers a shot. Here's what I pulled from the DFI Forums about the issue I mentioned:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152&postcount=11
NOTE: NF2 OWNERS - IF YOUR SYSTEM FREEZES UP AFTER INSTALLING THE SW-IDE DRIVER IN THE NF2 CHIPSET PACKAGE, PLEASE UNINSTALL THE CHIPSET DRIVERS AND RE-INSTALL AND TELL THE SW-IDE DRIVER PROMPT TO "NO" AND DO NOT INSTALL THEM!!! SW-IDE DRIVER IS WELL KNOWN FOR HOSING/LOCKING/FREEZING/NO-BOOTING ETC AFTER INSTALLING!!!

Back