• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: Overclocked temperatures way too high for overclock itself.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jack3573135

Registered
Hello there, this post may be very long, but please persevere, because it is worth it for the trouble I have gone through. I am getting very desperate on how to fix this problem that I have run into since installing my new parts. About 3 days ago, I installed a brand-new processor and motherboard, the i5 4690K, and the ASUS Z97-P, which tallied upto £300 worth of products at the time. I installed them as usual, take out the old parts, clean the heatsink, re-apply new thermal paste, and put everything back into place, everything seemed fine. I bought this CPU not for the K on the end of the name, but to overclock it to something more than 3.5 GHz, so I did some research on how to overclock properly, and tried it myself, and the results have frightened me.

Before we go any further, here are my PC specs:
i5 4690K 3.5 GHz (Stock)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS Z97-P M Motherboard
2 x 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 Mhz RAM
EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB
Samsung 750 EVO 120 GB SSD
Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue HDD

So basically, I wanted to go with the rest of the crowd, and the usual overclock for this CPU, which was 4.2 GHz, so I went into the BIOS, and set the AI Tweaker settings to x42 multiplier for the core ratio, and the voltage to around 1.200 V, but tweaked it a little numerous times. Then I downloaded Prime95 v26.6, OCCT, and Intel Burn Test, and the monitor programs, HWMonitor, CPU-Z, and HWInfo, and firstly, tried a stress test on Prime95 at Small FFT setting, and within 5 minutes the maximum recorded temperature clocked in at 84ºC, which is very high for my specs and the overclock I want to achieve as you can see. So I spent around 3 hours trying any and every little tweak to see the best possible overclock for this amount of core ratio, and the lowest maximum temperature I recorded was 81ºC, which is still stupidly high for 5 minutes, then I tried different overclocks, and the best temperature result for an overclock over 4.0 GHz was 74ºC, which is also very high compared to my specs and the level of overclock I want to achieve. I will post all pictures of my results below my description. After looking on countless forums, making a post for help on Tom's Hardware, and even going out to buy Isopropyl Alcohol, and Microfibre cloth, to reapply my thermal paste to see if it would make a difference, I still haven't found anywhere near to a solution, it just confuses how so many people with very similar, if not identical specs, reach overclocks of 4.5 GHz with maximum temperatures, under 100% stress, of around 60ºC. I don't even want crazy overclocks like that, although it would be nice to think I would have the opportunity to reach those overclocks, but I can't even reach 4.0 GHz without a stupidly high temperature. This is my final attempt to find help on the internet, like forums etc. and if no prevail, I will finally have to seek professional help from an IT business, to find out exactly what is going wrong, which would cost more money.

I just want to enjoy this new CPU at the level it should be at.

Here are some pictures for any further diagnosis (sorry for any messy hand-writing):
9k2Yu6F.jpg qxSq22l.jpg WPp3FIg.png

Thank you very much for any help or advice, it will be immensely appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

*the last picture of the stress test was on 4.2 GHz, and only around 1-2 minutes into the test.

Those are pretty normal temps there bud. Maybe a little high as I get a max of 71c in p95 blend test but im liquid cooled. Maybe the thermal paste needs redone but honestly that's only refering to the 84c temp. The ones you have circled right above me here are exactly what you are to expect stress testing on air over 4 Ghz. These are "stress" tests. What are your idle temps and gaming temps with these settings? I assure you any haswell chip overclocked to 4.5Ghz is never going to stay st 60c during a p95 stress test on air never. I'm at 4.5Ghz with a Corsair h100i v2 liquid cooler and I hit 71c five mintues into my stress test too. Well my max after 3 hours is 72c But I know I was at 69-72 in the first five minites too.

Last edited:
Those are pretty normal temps there bud. Maybe a little high as I get a max of 71c in p95 blend test but im liquid cooled. Maybe the thermal paste needs redone but honestly that's only refering to the 84c temp. The ones you have circled right above me here are exactly what you are to expect stress testing on air over 4 Ghz. These are "stress" tests. What are your idle temps and gaming temps with these settings? I assure you any haswell chip overclocked to 4.5Ghz is never going to stay st 60c during a p95 stress test on air never. I'm at 4.5Ghz with a Corsair h100i v2 liquid cooler and I hit 71c five mintues into my stress test too. Well my max after 3 hours is 72c But I know I was at 69-72 in the first five minites too.

my idle temps are around 47ºC to 56ºC idle. Gaming is around 60ºC and slightly over, on things like ArmA, what type of thermal paste method would you recommend, and how much? I've tried the pea and line method now.

You may be a little high but as long as you're under 90c you have nothing to worry stress testing. I started a thread last week and a member on here with his skylake i5 at 4.5 ghz ran his cpu for 24 hours on p95 at 82c But with version 26.6 I would expect temps about 10c under what you are getting but that is the max man you can't expect to be under 70c

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried a few methods and this last one I did was the pea method but the cross method is the one I prefer. Just a little cross. What kind of cooling in your case do you have? At least one rear exhaust and a couple intakes? 2 fans on your cooler?

You may be a little high but as long as you're under 90c you have nothing to worry stress testing. I started a thread last week and a member on here with his skylake i5 at 4.5 ghz ran his cpu for 24 hours on p95 at 82c But with version 26.6 I would expect temps about 10c under what you are getting but that is the max man you can't expect to be under 70c

So really, all I need to do is re-apply my thermal paste differently, what method would you recommend? And would 4.2 GHz at around 1.8 V expect 80ºC-ish temperatures?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried a few methods and this last one I did was the pea method but the cross method is the one I prefer. Just a little cross. What kind of cooling in your case do you have? At least one rear exhaust and a couple intakes? 2 fans on your cooler?

I have my CPU cooler, and two others, one above, and one at back of case.

Ya I mean I have't had a chip on air in so long but Those aren't oh my god what do I do temps Lol. Not trying to insult just trying to calm you down. You are in no way in the danger zone. I personally prefer temps a little lower than that, I idle around 25-30c game in the 50's stress in the low 70's your all around case cooling will play a big part in your overall temps.

I'd put 2 more up front as intakes as well. And I really hope that is a typo. 1.8v will kill your chip in a week and give you crazy temps haswell 4.2Ghz probably 1.3v

Ya I mean I have't had a chip on air in so long but Those aren't oh my god what do I do temps Lol. Not trying to insult just trying to calm you down. You are in no way in the danger zone. I personally prefer temps a little lower than that, I idle around 25-30c game in the 50's stress in the low 70's your all around case cooling will play a big part in your overall temps.

I'd put 2 more up front as intakes as well. And I really hope that is a typo. 1.8v will kill your chip in a week and give you crazy temps haswell 4.2Ghz probably 1.3v

Well my ambient temps are around 24ºC, so I'll probably invest in more cooling, and re-applying the thermal paste ASAP. Would that be enough? Thanks for all the help btw.

- - - Updated - - -

So...2 exhausts and no intakes. Add some intake fans.

Ok, I will buy some as soon as possible, thanks for advice :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ye, sorry, meant 1.18 V, would that be ample for 4.2 GHz?

and just stop with the p95 ,occt and ibt on air..
use intel xtu, it's more like the real world, you will never load it like those stress tests in the real world.

You may not even need to reapply thermal paste. As Mr. Scott asked, are both of your fans exhaust? for sure get 2 more fans. I only use 1 exhaust at the moment and have my intakes moving slower than my exhaust but at least have 4 case fans and at the very least have 2 of them intake maybe even 3

and just stop with the p95 ,occt and ibt on air..
use intel xtu, it's more like the real world, you will never load it like those stress tests in the real world.

Ok, will do, thank you for advice.

- - - Updated - - -

You may not even need to reapply thermal paste. As Mr. Scott asked, are both of your fans exhaust? for sure get 2 more fans. I only use 1 exhaust at the moment and have my intakes moving slower than my exhaust but at least have 4 case fans and at the very least have 2 of them intake maybe even 3

Ok, but I think I may have used too little thermal paste this time, so I'll probably try the X method.

He has reapplied themal paste once already.

jack, I would look at improving case ventilation either with more fans or with more powerful fans.

What is your case make and model? Tell us how your case fans are oriented with regard to intake and exhaust.

Is the room temperature where the computer lives quite warm or is the computer located in a small, confined are where it is not getting fresh air?

jack, I would look at improving case ventilation either with more fans or with more powerful fans.

What is your case make and model? Tell us how your case fans are oriented with regard to intake and exhaust.

Is the room temperature where the computer lives quite warm or is the computer located in a small, confined are where it is not getting fresh air?

Ok, my case is an NZXT S340 White, and I have my usual cpu cooler with the fan itself on the front side of the heatsink, I also have one fan on the back of the PC as an exhaust, and one fan on the top of the PC, as an exhaust.
My ambient room temperature is currently at 23 degrees celcius, and is in quite a spacious area.

Here is a picture to help you orientate and understand what I have explained:
Gkd5bLf.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

trents, what voltage ratios (core and cache) would be best for 4.2 GHz on this processor?

UPDATE: I have dropped to temperatures of around 60-70 degrees in my latest stress test on Intel XTU, amazing! Thank you loads to the above on recommending me on what programs to use, and overclock setting et cetera, thank you! :)

So they are both exhaust? Man you need intake Jack. I would have 2 intake one exhasut since there isnt any front ventilation for more intake. Two on top as intake one rear exhaust and I guarantee that alone will improve by 5c. And I always use push/pull. Especially on air.

Last edited:
Your case supports 2x 140/120mm fans in the front. I would definitely fill those spots as intake. :)

Okay, I see a potential problem in the pic of HWMonitor from your first post.

Look at your fan speeds. The cooler master hyper 212 evo fan will spin at about 2000 rpm when running at full speed. Now, I can't tell which one of those fan speeds showing in HWMonitor represents the CPU fan but the highest RPM I see is only 981. The other three fan speed sensors show 0 rpm. Are you sure you have the CPU fan connected to the correct pin header on the motherboard? There should be one marked "CPU." The other problem with that could be that you need to change the fan speed profile in bios.

So they are both exhaust? Man you need intake Jack. I would have 2 intake one exhasut since there isnt any front ventilation for more intake. Two on top as intake one rear exhaust and I guarantee that alone will improve by 5c. And I always use push/pull. Especially on air.

Don't worry, I will after these answers :)

- - - Updated - - -

Your case supports 2x 140/120mm fans in the front. I would definitely fill those spots as intake. :)

I will get some intake fans ASAP :)

- - - Updated - - -

Look at your fan speeds. The cooler master hyper 212 evo fan will spin at about 2000 rpm when running at full speed. Now, I can't tell which one of those fan speeds showing in HWMonitor represents the CPU fan but the highest RPM I see is only 981. The other three fan speed sensors show 0 rpm. Are you sure you have the CPU fan connected to the correct pin header on the motherboard? There should be one marked "CPU." The other problem with that could be that you need to change the fan speed profile in bios.

Well trents, as of right now, all fans are fired up, but I will check how fast they are going now, and come back to you on the results in a second.

trents, I've checked them, right now, the CPU fan is running at around 800-900 RPM, but the two other stock NZXT fans are actually running, but not showing up on HWMonitor, odd?

- - - Updated - - -

while on this subject, do u know what the best voltages would be for a 4.2 ghz overclock, voltages as in like core and cache voltages? :)

Back