• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel on nForce2Ultra400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snipe3D

I own a EpoX 8rDa3+ (rev 3.3), which utilizes the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset. It has 3 memory slots. I currently have 2 sticks of 256 running in dual channel mode. I think I read whatever article I read incorrectly, and it stated
It's also possible to use three modules, but remember that the dual-channel access can be set only for the memory size equal to the double size of the first module (which is installed into the slot of the lowest number), and if the size of the first module does not exceed the sum of the sizes of the second and third modules. Obviously, there are two most optimal cases: equal memory modules inserted into the first and second slots, or three modules, with the first one being equal to the sum of the other two modules.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/nforce2-1vs2channels/

Its a pretty confusing bit, and I dont think im interpreting it correctly. If I went to 3 sticks, one 512mb, one 256mb, one 256mb, and had the 512 in slot 1 (bank 0), and the two 256's in slot 2,3 (bank 1), it will still run in dual channeled mode. (Keeping in mind that all 3 sticks are of the same model, and exact same latencies.)

Is this correct, or did I interpret this completely wrong?

That board absolutely rocks and outclasses the NF7-S in every category. Just do the L12 hardmod (to be sure) and use the one-and-only Merlin modded BIOS. APIC enabled OS fine. You will be able to do 230-250 3D stable with 2x512 and CPC On.

The VCORE regulation, even with the Two-Buck phase power system, is superior to the NF7-S if you have to push a stubborn XP1700 to 2500+ using over 2.0 VCORE.

It's too bad the board has been discontinued.

I got my 2x512 XMS3500 to 232, 2-2-2-5 Memtest clean and 3D stable, at the max 2.84 VDIMM the board puts out! No way does the ram run that well on any other board or platform. I mean it's like black magic or voodoo.

Clevor said:
That board absolutely rocks and outclasses the NF7-S in every category. Just do the L12 hardmod (to be sure) and use the one-and-only Merlin modded BIOS. APIC enabled OS fine. You will be able to do 230-250 3D stable with 2x512 and CPC On.

The VCORE regulation, even with the Two-Buck phase power system, is superior to the NF7-S if you have to push a stubborn XP1700 to 2500+ using over 2.0 VCORE.

It's too bad the board has been discontinued.

I got my 2x512 XMS3500 to 232, 2-2-2-5 Memtest clean and 3D stable, at the max 2.84 VDIMM the board puts out! No way does the ram run that well on any other board or platform. I mean it's like black magic or voodoo.

i started with an asus board, but the VIA chipset it had conflicted with my ATI card, so i had to ditch that right away. Ever since I got this board, ePoX has been my best friend. I LOVE THEM.

they give you so many goodies, and a incredibly quality board.

The only bad thing about the Epox's are the mosfet and caps they use...the caps tend to leak after a year or two and the mosfets tend to overheat even with just a slight increase in voltage...

As for the Epox beating the NF7 in all areas...thats not totally true...

I have owned both...the Epox was nice in certain areas while the NF7 rocked when it came to OCing...the NF7 gave a more stable and higher OC then the Epox...but the Epox was better for stock to medium OC's...they key thing the NF7 had over the Epox was the memory bandwidth...

To achieve what the NF7 offered in memory bandwidth I had to run the 2500 at 210 to equal that of the NF7 running at 200...

glock19owner said:
The only bad thing about the Epox's are the mosfet and caps they use...the caps tend to leak after a year or two and the mosfets tend to overheat even with just a slight increase in voltage...

I have owned both...the Epox was nice in certain areas while the NF7 rocked when it came to OCing...the NF7 gave a more stable and higher OC then the Epox...but the Epox was better for stock to medium OC's...they key thing the NF7 had over the Epox was the memory bandwidth...

To achieve what the NF7 offered in memory bandwidth I had to run the 2500 at 210 to equal that of the NF7 running at 200...

maybe thats why epox included mosfet heatsinks with my motherboard...

oo :)

badcaps.net doesnt mention any epox boards having the problem, and i havent realyl heard anyone else mention it before you. ive only had mine for about 6 months, but ill take a look at my caps tonight, and see how they are holding out.

Mine had them as well...but I still have to put a fan on them to keep them cool when I was running past 220FSB...unlike the NF7 which I never had sinks on the mosftes and still was able to run up to 250FSB

Might think about putting a fan on the mosfets...even if you do not OC as high as mine was...it will still help the cooling which should make the rails a little more stable...

i just looked at my caps, and they look as flat and clean as can be.

looking at the board reminded me of my only complaint of it. now that i think of it ive seen a few others with the same problem: the north bridge stock cooling fan started making a grinding whizzing noise after only a month of use. ive been running without the north bridge fan plugged in ever since. it doesnt seem to have any problems running without the fan on, but when i get my new gear this summer i might think of trying to see if i can fix the problem, or just get a new fan.

^^ i would, but i dont overclock my components. i know, your going to say "well why the hell are you here then?"

the guys who take the risks and live through it are the most knowledgable experts you can find. you guys know the brands and the products as well, i wouldnt ask anyone else :)

and now that i google for "epox bad caps" i do find plenty of posts on their troubles, luckily i dont see any on the 8rda3+, so i hope ill be in luck.

lots of mentions of bad caps on anything epox "8Kxxx"...

glock19owner said:

I believe you are comparing the 8RDA+, Rev. 1.1 to the NF7-S. You have not tried the 8RDA3+, Rev. 3.2 with the 2-Buck phase power system. If you look around here, you will note I was running five NF7-Ss at up to 248 fsb, 2x512 at 1T. In fact, I ended up keeping four boards. But I tested the Epox earlier and it flat out beats the dated NF7-S at getting a stubborn 1800XP to 2500 mhz, which required up to 2.2 VCORE. It has much better VCORE regulation due to the latest technology in the board. Abit has pretty much rested on it's laurels with the NF7-S, plus there is significant variation in voltage regulation depending on what board you get.

You have to jump through too many hoops to get the NF7-S to run high fsb. On the Epox, all I did was do the L12 hardmod and flash to the (only) modded BIOS available by Merlin. Board ran fine in an APIC-enabled OS. The board has adjustable VDD to 1.9-2.0 (I forget), but nothing above 1.6 worked better.

Looking back at my notes, I see a 21,754 3DMark2001 score on the 8RDA3+. I forget the clock and ram, but this is as good or better than anything I got on the NF7-S, running up to 2645 mhz with 2x512 Mushkin at 248x11, 2.5-3-3-6, CPC enabled, where I got 3845 buffered. If ya got a 9800 Pro at 440/400, check what score you get on either board with no cheats ;).

Again, I got two 8RDA3+, Rev. 3.2s and four NF7-Ss, so I got no bone to pick. I'm just telling it as I see it. One thing for sure, both the Epox and NF7-S really rock with BH-5 at 2-2-2-5 timings.

It's a moot point really, as you can't get an 8RDA3+ Rev. 3.2 anyway. I got the last board from CensusPC almost six months ago.

Back