• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram/WindowsXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

hi. i just got some free pc2100 ram for my network server. the one originally on it is 256mb pc2100. the new ram i got is 2 512 Infineon. my problem is that when i put the 2 512's and the 256MB windows XP only says 750MB of ram. when i take out the 256MB it says 0.99mb. whats up with this? how come adding the 256mb actually lessens what windows says?

This is totally a shot in the dark, but is it possible that your motherboard only supports up to 1GB of ram? So when you have 2x512mb, it's fine. But when you add the 256mb stick, you have over a 1gb, so it doesn't know what to do, and so just defaults to using 1 of the 512mb sticks and the newly inserted 256mb stick? Only think I can think of, I've never actually hit the memory limit on any motherboard, so I don't know what they tend to when you go over that limit. The only reason I suggest it is because you're using PC2100 ram, so I'm thinking you have a fairly old motherboard/chipset system. Like make an AMD KT266A? I think all the boards with that chipset supported max 1GB, I might've made that up though, roffles, not sure.

tyson-chris said:
This is totally a shot in the dark, but is it possible that your motherboard only supports up to 1GB of ram? So when you have 2x512mb, it's fine. But when you add the 256mb stick, you have over a 1gb, so it doesn't know what to do, and so just defaults to using 1 of the 512mb sticks and the newly inserted 256mb stick? Only think I can think of, I've never actually hit the memory limit on any motherboard, so I don't know what they tend to when you go over that limit. The only reason I suggest it is because you're using PC2100 ram, so I'm thinking you have a fairly old motherboard/chipset system. Like make an AMD KT266A? I think all the boards with that chipset supported max 1GB, I might've made that up though, roffles, not sure.
Thing is look at his sig...

Abit IC7
2 80gig Maxtor's
Ati 9800pro (dead)
mushkin 256mb pc2100
Pentuim 4 2.00ghz at 2.50 ghz with stock hsf idle 28 load 42​

its not the machine my my sig. its my file server. it has an epox 4g-4a+ that can have up to 2gig of ram. now im getting more problems. when i plug in the 256mb the graphics gets all corrupted and it gets all the way to the windows then it gets a checkerboard. i guess this 256mb stick is dead.

Back