• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ramsinks worth it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

I have a few extra dollars to spend, and wanted to get a few small things and ram sinks for my UTT memory was on the list. Right now i have a 5000rpm 80mm fan blowing like 1 1/2 inchs from the ram and they are very cool to the touch. Would adding ramsinks help my situation in getting more then 250mhz out of them??

Also what would you recommend mounting them on with? Arctic silver epoxy?

Yes, Ramsinks would be worth it especially if you have cooling. As for attaching them, if it doesn't come with thermaltape then artic silver epoxy will work fine. I've never had any problems with epoxy as mine come with heatspreaders.

-1cem4n

As long as you have a fan blowing on them and they are cool to the touch, I think they are fine without sinks. If you wanted to still get some just to try or maybe for looks, I would recommend installing them with good thermal tape. If you know you will never want to take the sinks off, then go ahead with the thermal epoxy. Otherwise, buy some high quality thermal tape and take the small performance gap, it won't actually affect anything.

Also, do not buy heat spreaders. They will do almost nothing. Buy individual sinks for each ram module.

Last edited:
be careful with the silver epoxy, alumina will work just as well and you don't have to worry about blowing them at all. Heatspreaders would probably be better so you don't have to worry about the height of the heatsinks interfering with anything.

It probably won't help you get higher FSBs since theyre already cool. You'll need a volt mod, and even with the volt mod, passive cooling with heatspreaders is fine up to 3.1-3.2volts.

Well when i run them at 250mhz they have between 3.3-3.5v going threw them. Clerance issues are not a problem, i have plenty of room between my ram slots on this board. Might just use the thermal tape, because i dont' like the idea of permenatly attaching them to my ram lol.

than i would say definately get something on those puppies, and even keep that fan there. tis a whole lot of voltage, i'm surprised theyre stable ;)

nicspits said:
than i would say definately get something on those puppies, and even keep that fan there. tis a whole lot of voltage, i'm surprised theyre stable ;)

I have seen some peoples UTT running higher then that lol. Some run them 3.6 or 3.7. Not many go over 3.6, but there is a few lol.

Back