• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Upgrading kids pcs advice required

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StevieP2515

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on which graphics card to go for. I'll explain my situation first so you can see where I'm at and give me your advice and it will be appreciated if you take the time.
I have two boys who have pcs they play on. I'm looking to upgrade one of them and in turn upgrade both. Firstly the pcs are both quite old. Youngest son has an i5 750 with 8gb ram and a 7950 gpu. He basically plays Roblox and Minecraft on it. The eldest has an i5 4460 16gb ram and a gtx 970 and he plays r6s, pubg, ark survival evolved and those type of more demanding games. I also have a a spare i5 2500k with motherboard and ram. So I'm looking to put the gtx 970 with the i5 2500k and 8 GB ram for my youngest. Then use the 4460 16gb ram and whatever card I buy.
Now onto the cards. I was set on getting a rx580 but the gains wouldn't be that big. So I have looked at the rx590 but then my head was turned by getting a second hand gtx 980 ti. It's about the same price. The problem being there are so many options out there especially if you look at the second hand market and by going up £20-30 each time you have too much to choose from. I wanted to spend about £150 ISH.
So would it be better to get the much newer rx590 over the gtx 980 ti because of amd driver updates or is there another option you would recommend? I will look next year to upgrade the cpu and motherboard so that's not a concern right now for me.
Thanks for reading and any advice would be most appreciated.

You are more or loss on the money with what you have said. The 590 is probably the best new card you can buy for the money right now that will give you a performance upgrade over the 970.

Looking for second hand is up to you and there will be some good deals out there on higher end hardware I am sure.

I will also mention one other thing as I haven’t helped much so far. The new AMD Navi RX5500 cards are supposed to be coming out before Christmas. (Although there is no confirmation that I have seen) and they should be coming out at £150 give or take. So they should have more performance than the cards you are talking about for the same money. Or in theory they will drop the prices of the 580/590.

You are more or loss on the money with what you have said. The 590 is probably the best new card you can buy for the money right now that will give you a performance upgrade over the 970.

Looking for second hand is up to you and there will be some good deals out there on higher end hardware I am sure.

I will also mention one other thing as I haven’t helped much so far. The new AMD Navi RX5500 cards are supposed to be coming out before Christmas. (Although there is no confirmation that I have seen) and they should be coming out at £150 give or take. So they should have more performance than the cards you are talking about for the same money. Or in theory they will drop the prices of the 580/590.
Thank you for replying. I didn't know they were releasing that I'll definitely look into that. Everything they play is in 1080p so it should cope with that. The only game that my eldest plays that is quite demanding is ark to be honest.

I've actually just bought a Rx 580 that was used for 6 months on CAD. I got it for £120 so I'm happy with that. I read about the rx5500 initial testing is putting it on par with the 580 so I thought I would just bit the bullet and get that card. It's relatively new so driver support should be good for a while yet. Thanks for your input anyway.

Back