• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you honestly like to see in Microsoft os

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

After testing Longhorn, it makes me feel like Microsoft operating systems are going for worst, they are controlling our pcs. There should be setup options, asking the user what kind of user they are, beginner, advanced. Allowing us to disable/enable certain windows components. One more thing I would like to see, during setup allow us, to place the documents and settings, program files, page file (not a big issues) on a different partition, drive.
What would you guys like to see added, inproved, removed. Anything you got in mind.
Thanks

elec999 said:
After testing Longhorn, it makes me feel like Microsoft operating systems are going for worst, they are controlling our pcs. There should be setup options, asking the user what kind of user they are, beginner, advanced. Allowing us to disable/enable certain windows components. One more thing I would like to see, during setup allow us, to place the documents and settings, program files, page file (not a big issues) on a different partition, drive.
What would you guys like to see added, inproved, removed. Anything you got in mind.
Thanks

back in the days of Win9x... you could do that on an install. You could install Windows as fat or as slim as you wanted it to be.

serious, hopefully longhorn has something like that, F0CK XP I HATE IT
1 out of 389259043895728903475890237520 examples is when you disable auto update that **** will NOT stop popping up 'you are at risk' without disabling the service, those RETARDS

yea windows is to fat, and it's just getting fatter. I wholeheartedly agree with all you guys. I do miss the days of the options, where u actually had control over you OS (you were able to decide what to instal etc). I want LESS processes running and more efficiency. What is up with the new requirements of ram and proc speed? GUI is nice, but it shouldn't be forced through our throats. M$ is going on this huge campaign for xbox 360 and how everything is customizable (the console itself will have different skins etc) and you can tune things to your needs. Are they forgetting about their OS? Let the people who are know what they are doing install what they want on their comp. It'd be really awesome if I could install longhorn on my 1 gig celeron system without any hitches or drop in performance, WHILE at the same time I could install it on my new rig with all the eye candy and what not.

I doubt I am going to be upgrading to Longhorn when it comes out if it is going on the track that its on right now.

I would like to see the existing features expanded upon before new features were added. Like the built in cd burning, it could be alot more robust. Do thing such as build in all the features of TweakUI. Also the file compression program could become a full fledged zip utility. And for godness sake, make Paint a complete photo editing program. I guess I just asked to build in Nero, Winzip, a GUI editor, and Photoshop. If Microsoft could do these things think of the money you could save in supplementary programs. Hard drives are large enough now, that I could live with a bloated OS. But I want some meat to come with all that fat. I like Windows, please dont flame me. I do grow tired though of the weak things that keep getting added to windows, such as the Movie Maker and all those horrible wizards. But I guess that gets back to the point of people wanting to be able to select the type of user at the install.

Screw the "customizability" of Win9x. Sure it gave you a lot more options than XP, but even it's were really limited. Personally, if we were going for a dream installer, I'd want the flexibility of slipstream customization (preferably without the hassle ;)).

Aside from that, fewer running processes (though honestly, XP by default is pretty light... less than 200MB of RAM/Pagefile), less "annoying" by default (XP's tray "baloons" are annoying), and fewer security holes (though that's gonna be difficult without throwing out a whole new kernel...)

JigPu

hibner said:
...I guess I just asked to build in Nero, Winzip, a GUI editor, and Photoshop. If Microsoft could do these things think of the money you could save in supplementary programs. ....

I understand where you are coming from but remeber the antitrust suit against Microsoft because it comes bundled with WMP. And you also have the consideration suggested by IE, as compared to Firefox. Microsoft's program has become the defacto standard and they have basically given up updating it, where as now Firefox comes along and shows us all the things we've been missing.

Other than that I'd have to agree that the thing I'd most like to see is added ability to customize. Unfortunately those of us who would appreciate the freedom are probably a very small minority (considering probably about half the people I work with don't even know how to cut and paste :rolleyes: ). I thought the idea of specifying your user level, and thereby opening up customization options was possibly a nice solution.

nstabl said:
1 out of 389259043895728903475890237520 examples is when you disable auto update that **** will NOT stop popping up 'you are at risk' without disabling the service, those RETARDS

If your talking about the systray notification then that is something you can disable. It's been a while since I reinstalled XP w/ SP2 so I don't remember of the top off my head, though I do remember I had to do a bit of poking around.

I want:

Simplified GUI based customization of installed components before the OS is installed. It should include detailed descriptions of each compenent/service, along with a listing of components/services that rely on them. I don't want to install stuff that I don't need.

The ability to boot windows and to change/move/edit/add/remove everything I see and even stuff I don't quicky and easily. I want to be in control of my OS. If I'm in control of my OS, then I'm in control of my PC.

An easy to use, secure, stable operating system that is compatible with a wide variety of software and hardware.

An OS that can learn and remember, and use what it learns to help me be more productive.

And I want them to release an open-source version. It might not be the best business move. But they would score some big points in my book if they did something as unthinkable as that.

elec999 said:
One more thing I would like to see, during setup allow us, to place the documents and settings, program files, page file (not a big issues) on a different partition, drive.
Thanks

I thought you could do these things with WinXP.

What I want;

I want to see what is in my CD-ROM's by right clicking on the desktop.

I want to be able to drop a file into a folder, and it go 2 places. One in the folder I dropped it into, and one on a back up drive. Basically, a MUCH lesser version of RAID-1, with just the files and folders I want, to be copied. Not the entire Windows OS, that I would wipe over anyways if I reinstalled.

Many other want's, but they sounded too lame as I typed them out, LOL.

TollhouseFrank said:
services.msc

turn off that sucker!

lol services.msc is my best friend! so is msconfig :)

PS: i want cookies to come w/ my Windows XP CD also :santa:

jajmon said:
"What would you honestly like to see in Microsoft os",,,,,

NOT having to reboot after windows updates, unlike updating Linux

yeah rebooting after installing crap is a royal pain in the arse, even w/ a fast system.

Windows 3 Program Manager!!!

I used to still use it until win2k, even though it really p*****d me off that the windows would minimise to a c***y windows bar and not a nice icon.

Bring back proper DOS - It's not dead! (clutches win98 boot disk)

When copying files in explorer and it encounters some files with the same filename an option 'Only if Duplicate' would be nice.

Sometimes (like from my digi cam) I copy pics from mmc to hdd and they have same name, some are the same others are different. If different automatically append filename with (1) or whatever.

Back