• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7M266-D and POST code cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emboss

I'm still messing around with the ASUS board that I got a while ago, and it is still only rarely starting up. Once it's started it's perfectly stable, but try and do a warm reboot and you've got a 99% chance that it won't POST again for a week. Now, one thing that I wanted to get working was a POST code decoder card. I've got one that works fine in a K7D, but it doesn't show anything in the ASUS, even when the board starts up. From various postings, it appears that ASUS decided not to support port-80 POST code cards with the A7M266-D (and some other ASUS boards of similar vintage) instead requiring you to get an iPanel. Has anyone managed to get a port-80 POST code card to work in the A7M266-D, and if so, what does the card look like?

The problem is that ASUS discontinued the iPanels a fair while ago, so getting one is next to impossible without paying tons in shipping to get it from some zero-feedback ebayer in Uzbekistan (ok, I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea). POST code cards are a lot easier to get hold of, so if someone's got one that works I'll try hunting down a similar one first ...

Alternatively, if anyone in Australia has an iPanel lying around spare (or even one I could just rent for a few days) let me know :)

Irrelevant to the thread, but in any case, that's ... unlikely. I've tried it with 3 PSUs with identical results: a 500W generic, an Antec True550 EPS12V, and an OCZ PowerStream 520W. All of these PSUs ran a dual 2500@2GHz + 9800SE softmodded & OC'd to ~9800XT + couple of drives without a problem (except possibly the generic, which died recently); they should be able to handle a single Duron 1600 at stock with no drives and a GF2MX200. I've also tried various configurations of 5 sticks of RAM ranging from 256MB PC2100 to 512MB PC3200, 5 CPUs (two Duron 1600's, two Barton 2500's, and a Palomino 1700+), and two video cards (the 9800 and the GF2MX). I've probably spent well in excess of 200 hours trying to get this board to work properly. The problem is also far from predictable. It'll work fine for a few times, then for no reason go into a sulk and refust to POST. The only thing that seems to bring it out of a sulk it to rip out the CMOS battery and leave it for a while. "A while" can be as short as two minutes, but it's not uncommon for the board still to be sulking after it's been without power and a CMOS battery for a week. After a month the board will usually start up fine again.

But as I said, that's irrelevant to the thread. I'm just interested in whether anyone's managed to get a POST card to work in this board or not. It's one of the few remaining things to do to this board except relegate it to frisbee duty.

edit: Forgot to add that I mentioned in the first post that the card doesn't show anything even during a successful POST, so it's not just the board being borked and not displaying anything :)

I know this is not part of the the thread either, but I dont know of anyone getting any kinda of a POST card to work on the Asus. I will tell you I had the same problem on a A7M266-D last year. It would boot nicely when it wanted to, and as long as it wasn't shut down it was golden. The fix? Reseating the BIOS chip and reflashing. Sorry i cannot help you on the POST card.

Back