• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many Licenses does this contain

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Really? I have an OEM copy of WinXP Pro and I upgraded CPU and other components several times with no problem. When I changed motherboard, I had to reauthenticate, but still had no problem. As long as you have that WinXP on only one computer, you should be fine. Components go bad and upgrades are common. Microsoft realizes this I hope.

You can still use it... You may have to call MS to Authorize, but you can still use it:p.

Yeah, you bung the CD in, and there is a small chance that it won't accept your CD-key. You then get a number to ring up, speak a machine, and that should do the job for you, though occasionally you will have to speak to a person as well who will ask you why you are reinstalling windows and if it is on another pc.

Man I love running a computer without having to learn to program it first.... :rolleyes:

Don't get into a fight here ^^

No *nix vs the superior windows (LMAO j/k j/k) flame wars.

anyway, yeah, just call the number for your country, and just punch in the numbers to robot jane. If it says "Oh well, you suck, talk to my master" (you get the idea), then you talk to a real person, and tell them whats up.

WinXP has the worst pirating protection. Doesn't even work.

OEM is no different in terms of authentication then a retail version. Only difference is that OEM version will not aloow you to upgrade.

From: http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/activation.html

Reinstallation of Windows XP on the same or similar hardware and a subsequent reactivation can be accomplished an infinite number of times. Finally, the Microsoft activation clearinghouse system will automatically allow activation to occur over the Internet four times in one year on substantially different hardware. Every 120 days, the current configuration of a user's PC will become the new "base," so to speak. This means (for example) that on a non-dockable PC you could change 8 of the above parts without a reactivation. After 120 days, you could again change 8 parts. This last feature was implemented to allow even the most savvy power users to make
changes to their systems and, if they must reactivate, do so over the Internet rather than necessitating a telephone call.

From another post I made on the subject:
There is only one Windows XP Pro distribution. There is one thing different in one file, which is a 5+3 number combination in I386/setupp.ini under the Pid= field

The first 5 digits inform setup what kind of install to allow. Examples:
51882 = Retail setup (allows upgrades or new installs)
82503 = OEM setup (allow new installs only)

The last 3 digits inform setup what kind of CD keys to accept
335 = Retail (accepts retail keys during setup)
270 = VLK (accepts Volume Licensing Keys, which some people here are calling corporate edition keys)
OEM = OEM (accepts OEM keys)

Normally retail cd numbers are matched with retail keys and so forth, but you can also mix and match, say if you wanted to create your own super slipstreamed XP disc that would accept your Dell OEM CD key for when you upgrade the hard drive on that Dell.

Often OEM installs will include additional drivers, or extra setup tasks, or different default wallpaper, but that's all.

Back