• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kevin007

umm...I had no idea where this was supposed to go...

well, my motherboard started smoking last night, and well my computer works heres the thread for more detail: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=390193

I was playing CS:S and its restarted so my friend told me to run memtest and no errors, so then I ran prime95 and the yellow icon was there in the task bar, and it said I didn't have an "error" but a "warning" here is what it said repeatedly:

ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT
Possible hardware failure, consult readme .txt file, restarting test.
Torture test ran: 14 minutes, 0 errors, 100 warnings

what does this mean, and how do I fix it, also do you think it has to do something with my motherboard smoking, but I do not think it is the cause, because when I was trying to install world or warcraft, it just wouldn't work it, I think it re-started or something with that...if I need to give more info just ask.

:shrug: :shrug:

it doesn't seem like it is finding any errors now, and I used that setting before, but now it is not finding anything wrong I guess..

it keeps getting: Illegal Sumout errors..can someone tell me how to fix this warning?

Last edited:
Which versian of Prime95 do you have? Anything under 20.4 when calculating huge exponents caused false ILLEGAL SUMOUT errors

I had a similar message on my computer. I ended up finding out I cooked my new ram. In an all time bone head move I ran Prime95 again when I got the RMA sticks and now I'm afraid I cooked them too, or my board. I believe Prime 95 might be incompatible with my MB. I could have just gotten another bad set of PDP but it passed memtest before I ran Prime95. Now It doesn't. Just my opinion.

not "errors" but it threw up "warnings" something be still wrong but, I haven't noticed anything..

Kevin007 said:
not "errors" but it threw up "warnings" something be still wrong but, I haven't noticed anything..
What those "warnings" means is that you cpu is not functioning properly. Hence is is not stable, end of story. This may or may not be acceptable to you. On a stable system, prime95 should not throw up any errors or warnings.

I know i already said this but i will say it again, you should be getting no errors at stock speeds and settings. If it continues giving your errors or failing out then you need to look at returning the CPU, you can test it in your friends mobo if you want and see if it has the same problems on his system, if not then it could be your motherboard, some left over damage from the magic smoke.

Back