• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer Won't Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stealth10169

Registered
My computer, the past couple of days would freeze randomly... so i figured it was overheating. It froze this morning, so i turned it off, and went to the store to get some canned air to clean the inside, figuring that it may help with the overheating. Before i left for the store i tried to turn on my computer, and it wouldnt boot. I figured i would get the canned air and clean it and try to boot it again. Cleaned it all out and put it back together and it still wouldnt boot.

When i hit the power button, the fans and lights all start up, and the H.D.D. light in the front of my case goes on, but the power light doesnt light up. The monitor stays in standby mode... and nothing happens. No beeps or anything. I've tried removing my video card and using the onboard video card, i've tried using old ram, i've bought a power supply tester, and it reads that the power supply is working right, and i've run out of ideas. Any ideas guys? thanks.

Sounds like either the MB or CPU. Try booting the PC without any RAM at all that should give you a BIOS Beep error if no error the look at replacing the MB.

Try this, unplug the PSU from the wall outlet and wait for few minutes and plug it back and try to reboot.
I had the same problem as you, I ended up buying a new PSU.
Also did you try a simple CMOS reset?

It does sound like the motherboard is dead, you would have heard POST beeps if it was the DIMM or cpu. I would try another PSU if you have one or place the memory modules and other components into a known good machine and make sure that it is not something else causing it not to boot, otherwise your mobo shall be RIP (I have lost 2 motherboards this way in the past year I am not sure what is going on, probably power surges).

winterhavok said:
It does sound like the motherboard is dead, you would have heard POST beeps if it was the DIMM or cpu. I would try another PSU if you have one or place the memory modules and other components into a known good machine and make sure that it is not something else causing it not to boot, otherwise your mobo shall be RIP (I have lost 2 motherboards this way in the past year I am not sure what is going on, probably power surges).

We are all assuming he has the PC speaker plugged in...

Damn I just remembered something, with my old AXP1800 setup I was reattaching my WB after some cleaning and I placed a metal washer without placing a carboard on before it on the PCB with all the metal solder points and I assume it shorted something out becouse I had EXACTLY the same scenario after that but I could never solve it so I just upgraded to my current setup.

same thing happened to me, but you say your reset the cmos, that is all it took me, i botted it up, jumped it, then rebooted it and it was fine, this is fishy, was there anything that you have any idea of that could have caused this, you tweak anything?

I've replaced my mobo and processor, and i can get it to start. It opens the mobo setup, does the setup then goes into the BIOS, when i exit the BIOS it restarts. Some times it asks to boot in safemode, last working config, and normal windows. When i choose which i want to boot with a blue screen comes up with an error. Could there be somthing wrong with my HD?

yes i reinstalled windows, and how would i install the mobo drivers without being in windows?

that same thing happened to me on my new mobo, it was my HDD, before i reinstalled windows, it was looking for different enough IDE controllers, ext. so anyways i went into the bios, and told it to boot from the cdrom, and booted xp right then and there, and it worked, try that if you havent already.

I've bought a new hard drive, installed windows, and still the same blue screen error, i have no other ideas on what it could be... its pretty much a new computer and i dont understand why it doesnt work.

Im using a CD to install windows that I got from an emachines computer that i bought, could that be the problem.. that i need a bare windows xp disk to install, since this is a completly different computer?

Back