• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best tubing for 4" diameter bends?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damarble

I've got all my WC components now except the tubing. The system will go in small case, so in some places the tubing will be bent at 90 degree angles aproximating that of a 4" diameter circle.

So 2 questions, do I use 1/2 or 3/8? I am leaning towards the 3/8 because of the tight fit over 1/2 barbs.

And, Tygon or Clearflex?

And if it's important, I have a custom CPU block (thanks SemiCycle), Danger Den NB and GFX blocks. Mag 3 pump. Generic auto heatercore.

According to mcmaster.com Masterkleer (clearflex 60) has a 3.5 " bend radius. Tygon has 1.5" bend radius. The Masterkleer should do well, and is cheaper.

Tygon is only 1.5"? Wow, I didnt realize it bent so well.

At maximum (and I'm leaving plenty of room for error) I'll only need 7ft. The difference in price isnt that big a deal when you're only dealing with small amounts, so I think I'd rather get the Tygon.

But is 3/8 ID, 1/2 OD OK? Or should I use 5/8 OD?

damarble said:
Tygon is only 1.5"? Wow, I didnt realize it bent so well.

At maximum (and I'm leaving plenty of room for error) I'll only need 7ft. The difference in price isnt that big a deal when you're only dealing with small amounts, so I think I'd rather get the Tygon.

But is 3/8 ID, 1/2 OD OK? Or should I use 5/8 OD?

The 5/8 OD will be better because it will not kink as much as the 1/2 OD stuff, but the thicker tube will also make the bending radius larger.

-Jon

Ardneh42 said:
The 5/8 OD will be better because it will not kink as much as the 1/2 OD stuff, but the thicker tube will also make the bending radius larger.

-Jon

My quote above was for the 1/2" ID 3/4" OD...And I quoted it incorrectly. On page 82, it has all the bend radius listed. The bend radius for this is actually BETTER than I said. 1.75" for the above listed. Nearly equal to the Tygon.
Masterkleer it's called.

On page 85 you have the Chemical PVC tubing which is what I was thinking originally. This has a 3" bend radius for 1/2" ID 3/4" OD. Price is similar to Masterkleer.

Tygon Chemical also on this page has the 1.5" bend radius for 1/2" ID 3/4" OD, but it's 3.91 a foot. I think I'll be going with the Masterkleer, but will look into it some more.

I don't know the specific differences except the chemical PVC tubing must be more robust and resistant to certain fluids such as acids. If you aren't running those I would think the Masterkleer would perform quite admirably.

www.mcmasters.com

Last edited:
capneedle said:
According to mcmaster.com Masterkleer (clearflex 60)

Last time I check Masterkleer isn't Clearflex60. First off Masterkleer doesn't stain like Clearflex and second the Chemical PVC tubing is the same as Clearflex60.

capneedle said:
My quote above was for the 1/2" ID 3/4" OD...And I quoted it incorrectly. On page 82, it has all the bend radius listed. The bend radius for this is actually BETTER than I said. 1.75" for the above listed. Nearly equal to the Tygon.

According to McMaster the only Tygon that beats the bend radius is the Tygon Super Flex. Getting the super flex will cost you $10.03 a foot. For that price I'll take the 1/4" less bend radius of the Masterflex or the Clearflex60.

Last edited:
damarble said:
Ordered some Masterkleer from mcmaster. I dont like the way they dont tell what the shipping costs.

Nobody likes it and that is a big reason I've never placed an order with them in spite of their selection and pricing. I've came close a few times but always found other sources.

gungeek said:
Nobody likes it and that is a big reason I've never placed an order with them in spite of their selection and pricing. I've came close a few times but always found other sources.

You may email a representative you know. I was very worried myself but then I emailed them and gave my address and what I wanted and they told me an estimate of the price of shipping. They are very quick to respond too I might add. The rep told me that it would cost the same to get 5' or 10' of tubing so I went and bought 10'!

Really, email them they are very quick to repond and are very mannered company.

Bryan D.

So you guys went with the MasterKleer instead of the Chemical PVC. I thought someone said the Masterkleer stained more than the others? The Masterkleer does have the better bend radius does it not? I think there is a spot to look for shipping prices once you enter your zip code, atleast I thought I was able to see my shipping, perhaps not.

Well for me then it will be Masterkleer 1/2" ID 3/4" OD to the rescue, when I get my system built ;)

Back