• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tygon 3603 vs. Primoflex LRT tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
{NOTE: scroll down to post #18 for a one year review of PrimoChill LRT flexible tubing}

I've used Tygon 3603 flexible tubing almost forever. But, this last time I feel like it let me down. In about 1.5 years time, the hose is cloudy and a bit of white crud has drifted into the corners of the reservoir. My first guess is plasticizer leaching out. I bought 10' of Primoflex LRT tubing. I have seen it used a several builds here on the forum, so I know lots of people are using it. It's crystal clear and has nothing printed on the tubing, which is cool. If you're using it, tell me, yea or nay? Does it hold up okay for a few years?

I have always used 3/8" ID flex tubing in the past. I like how it bends and it don't take up too much space in the case. Back in the ol' days, you didn't gain much cooling going from 3/8" to 1/2" tubing in your loop. Things are beginning to change a little nowadays with power hungry multicore CPUs. I decided to step up to 7/16" tubing (thin wall) and use ESPC 1/2" barbs. From closely looking at the parts, I think flow improvement will definitely come from using the larger 1/2" fittings. Although, looking at the 3/8" and 7/16" tubing side by side, there is a significant visual difference. It'll be interesting to see how much, if any, real world cooling difference. I'll post back here with results in about a week.

Last edited:
Temps do not change much if you already have adequte flow rate (1-1.5 GPM last I recall). I would be surprised if you could measure it, honestly. Make sure you have info on water temps, ambient, etc, and test the same exact thing for both. I'm interested to hear your results! :)

Well, I got the Primoflex tubing delivered. I guess I'm going to try it, since I'm already cutting it up. Good stuff? Anyone have a bad experience with it?

EDIT: Maybe the Tygon 3603 was not the problem after all. One piece of tubing in my loop (goes from the res to the pump) was not Tygon, it's Kuri Tec K010 (PVC tubing). I sort of remember now that I ran out of Tygon and used an extra piece of tubing that was leftover from a past project.

Last edited:
Tygon was the brand of choice until the primochill lrt took over. That said, depends on the liquid used too. Was it a simple distilled look with anti-bac?

I went to black tubing years ago because it annoyed me when clear tubing had issues be it from leaching or the liquid itself causing those things. I still flush annually and for giggles after 2 years replaced the tubing anyway.

If you're using it, tell me, yea or nay? Does it hold up okay for a few years?

I've used PrimoFlex Advanced LRT UV blue and after 6 months it starts to get the white crap, so for me its a nay. And i tested with multiple clear fluids, same stuff.

Been cleaning the loop components for hours. The crud looks like corrosion from the CPU water block. This is what I get for neglecting it for so long.

Must have something in there it does not play well with .........

Once clean I would flush with alcohol thoroughly to make sure anything alive has been eradicated :snipe:

So, you think the problem might be biological? I sure didn't see any algae. But, there are some bacteria that can cause trouble of course which is harder to spot. I never use alcohol because that could damage acrylic (bay reservoir). While scrubbing the water block with a toothbrush and when doing the radiator cleaning dance, I did use a 50/50 vinegar solution (only use distilled white vinegar) and then flushed a couple times with distilled water. Vinegar will kill flora and fauna and won't cause damage if used properly. I also ran Sysprep (made by Primochill) through and flushed again. I'm getting ready to refill the loop. Think I'll try using this anti-corrosion/biocide stuff that came with the Primoflex tubing (called Utopia) for a week. I ordered a bigger pump, so when I change out the water pump, I'll probably just go back to plain distilled water and PT Nuke. But, I have to be more careful about flushing and refilling every 6 months and do a complete breakdown once a year.

Since the thread is about Primochill's Primoflex tubing, here are my initial thoughts. This flexible watercooling tubing looks great. It's crystal clear and has nothing stamped or printed on the hose. It's easy to work with and definitely lives up to it's name (Primoflex). I ordered one box of 10' length tubing. I had almost 2' left over when I was done. I didn't know this when I bought it, but it comes with a bonus. There's a sample size bottle of Sysprep (cleaner) and Utopia (anti-corrosion additive and biocide). So far my new Primoflex tubing meets or beats my expectations. The big question is longevity. I'll post an update here in about a year.

primochill lrt is all i use for soft tubing now. switched from clear 3603 to silver then black 3603 due to constant issues with white crud when used with distilled and petras. switched over to lrt for the color options more than anything and havent had any issues in 6-7yrs roughly. i ran it for 5yrs straight without a drain/refill and the tubing was still in great shape, no clouding at all...the blocks? haha not so much. GL!

I've been using Primochill Advanced LRT 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD for years and have never had a plastisizer issue. I've always used distilled water and silver kill coils. It's pretty flexible for how solid it is, but there are definitely times where I adjust my rotary fitting angles to orient to the tubing bends, as opposed to fighting the bends themselves.

Sometimes it's can be very cumbersome to screw the compression fitting down over the tube onto the threads, can be a VERY tight fit, but that's a good thing. Fingers will get a little sore.

Overall it's a very solid tubing. I have no reason to switch any time soon.

I added a GPU water block to the mix and since then I've had my loop apart three times (fixing my blunders, don't ask). I like how this tubing is so flexible and easy to work with. So, on one hand, a forum member had some issues that may or may not be caused by tubing. However, Primoflex receives high praise from a couple other forum brothers. I'll go on record by saying, I think this tubing is better than average. If it holds up to the test of time, bonus!

I don't have any experience with other tubing or long term data, but I will say I was impressed working with it. It seemed to be flexible yet resist kinking.

I remember Tygon back in the day. I hated the fact it would get all cloudy in a matter of days. Was good tubing for it's time. I started using the cheapo tubing from Home Depot. Was stiff as hell and would kink like mad. Out came the zip ties to prevent that. At least it didn't cloud up like Tygon. Clearflex was another good one. Primochill came after all those guys and stepped up their game. LRT is the pinnacle of soft tubing. Won't use anything else.

Hey guys, it's been just over a year now since I changed my water-cooling tubing to PrimoChill LRT. I promised to give a status report. I'm impressed. I have to give the PrimoChill two thumbs up. It's now my flex tubing of choice. The year old PrimoChill tubing still looks clear and could pass as new. It's still flexible and easy to work with. No white crud like before with the trigon tubing. I'll report back in another year. I might as well continue this as a long term review.

PrimoChill tubing 1 year old.jpg

EDIT: FYI, I'm using distilled water and just a couple of drops of biocide.

Last edited:
Back