• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Measure Heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amarkarian

I have recently built a file server and i was wondering what hardware you buy and how do you hook it up to measure tempatures? I am using two slot proccesor pIII.

And also what software program i could measure it with

tty

you can buy a tempsensor face plate that fits in a 5.25 or 3.5 bay drive

i havent heard of any real universal hardware/software because it depends if the moteherboard has the probes to be able to record and display the temperature.

sinse its a slot 2, you should be able to get one of those 3.5 or 5.25 bay sensors and put the cord/probe on the hottest or closest to the core on the processor, i.e. alittle easier than say a new socket CPU where it has alot of pins.

cheap one i found: CLICK HERE

there are others at frozen cpu, i found it in the case acessories bay devices section. if you need to monitor 2 temps you can get 2, it'll cost 50bucks but you can also control 4 fans with 2, and that can help you adjust temps especially on a 24/7 server.

:EDIT: actually i looked more at the specs of that unit, it looks like it can control 2 fans and display 2 different temps, so you would only need one.

Thanks, but also what i am trying to find out is how do i install probes on my slot proccesors and around my case.

Ty

Amarkarian said:
Thanks, but also what i am trying to find out is how do i install probes on my slot proccesors and around my case.

Ty

well with my Antec 5.25" hdd cooler it came with 2 piece of thin very sticky goldish film to hold down the probes, so you can probably use that, because im sure with that probe and fan controller it'll have that same type of tape.

im pretty sure that "tape" wouldnt harm the silcone of the cpu.

Back