• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to passively watercool your CPU for <20$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banthur

First let me begin with the statement that this mod is not for beginner-level modders, only expert. You remember, the skill level 3 model rockets your parents would never let you buy because they were too hard to build. This is way way past that.
The ingredients:
Approx 1sq ft of Aluminum Foil
20-30 1793 to 1837 Pennies (they were pure copper back then!)
5-10 Crazy Straws (the wider diameter the better)
Water!

Construction:
First outline your aluminum foil like so:
aluminum.bmp

It should be pretty obvious how to fold this into a box. This will serve as the water block. (Don't worry the final product won't be hollow)

Now take the pennies and stack as many as you can into the aluminum-foil box like so:
pennies.bmp

Now you have an almost finished water block!

Now tape or glue or somehow attach all the crazy straws end-to-end (make sure water can still flow through them though!)

Now mount your water block in any manner you wish (depending on socket, preference, or day of the week).
Attach to it the crazy straw manifold as illustrated:
final.bmp

Now all you have to do is fill it with water and then cap the end!

How it works:
The water on the cpu gets really hot and eventually turns to steam, which travels up the crazy straw. As the steam travels up the crazy straw it begins to cool and release heat and eventually becomes a liquid once again and proceeds to fall back down the straw. This eventually becomes an equilibrium and your processor stays frosty cool!

Post your temps/pics if you get this working, I can't currently because I don't own a computer.

I think after a while the pennies would eat away at the aluminum foil and you give your MB a bath. Of course, that would mean the straws would never leak...but they will.

I'm thinking doing this to a MB/CPU is much much much more dangerous than building that level 3 rocket. It might be as dangerous if you build and test that rocket while doused in gasoline and riding the one eyed 3 legged donkey. :eek:

the water turning to steam means that the processor would be at the boiling point of higher, thus, cooling the processor worse than air, and leaving it to either throttle, or to simply fry

and this isn't water cooling really... its more or less EXTREMELY GHETTO, POS heatpipe cooling (that wont work)

sorry to burst your bubble

edit: the reason that TRUE heatpipes actually works is because they use a refreidgerant that has a lower boiling point, unlike water which boils at a very high temperature

sry... but in this situation, i cannot stop myself from flaming this thread

anyways, a small FYI: any penny made in 1982 or earlier is made of pure copper (minus the 1943 aluminum pennies)

I'm sorry too...if this happens again in the future, we'll have the opportunity to be sorry together once again. Now, either be nice or don't post,K?

LutaWicasa
Forums Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for saying it was a joke - I'm now getting better temps than I was with a WW and two Chevette cores. Wow!

I'm going to try to increase the performance by using copper tubing instead of a straw - pics in a few minutes.

Works much better than I thought it would, considering the water would have to heat up to 100C before it evaporated.

What works even better, is if you use a blow torch to heat the water FIRST so it evaporates! Just fire up the torch, and hold right over your CPU for about 5 minutes. WORKS GREAT!

This is of course a Joke. I hope no one is taking this seriously, especially none of the "noobs". If you are new to this whole idea of water cooling, please, realize this is NOT a good idea, and do some research, and do not attempt something like this.

Last edited:
isn't this a perpetual motion machine? Would eventually the water evaporate and you'd have no water in the straw, because you can't perfectly seal the ends?

Sneaky said:
*EDIT*

sry... but in this situation, i cannot stop myself from flaming this thread

anyways, a small FYI: any penny made in 1982 or earlier is made of pure copper (minus the 1943 aluminum pennies)

nice touch on the personal attack

any pennies as old as the OP said are worth far more than $20

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I must say using more bubblegum as a thermal paste for the aluminum to the core works much nicer than some of my sisters hair to tie it down as I was using before.

However, my temps rise by 3oC when my neighbours previous roommates fathers uncles 2nd cousins dog scratches his left ear for approximately 0.3s then proceeds to walk forward 3m, pause for 9s, then sit down.

Other than that its fine.

Nice flame sneaky and I don't think people should be allowed to post nonsense like this. What if someone took it seriously and fried there CPU. That would suck big ol donkey b*lls! this forum is here to help people not for others to intentionaly mislead a noob into destroying there rig.

To the original poster:

IS this a proven method or a theory of yours? Have you even done this? What were your results?

IS this an attempt for folks who know water cooling to try out your theories, and possibly someone who is not knowlegable burn out thier units.

I would like a responce even if it is via PM. No reply will lead me to believe this is a bogus post and a theory. Some sort of responce would be nice.
If this truly and actually works, you are a hero amongst water coolers everywere.

Thank you

Enablingwolf said:
To the original poster:

IS this a proven method or a theory of yours? Have you even done this? What were your results?

IS this an attempt for folks who know water cooling to try out your theories, and possibly someone who is not knowlegable burn out thier units.

I would like a responce even if it is via PM. No reply will lead me to believe this is a bogus post and a theory. Some sort of responce would be nice.
If this truly and actually works, you are a hero amongst water coolers everywere.

Thank you

LOL

it will never work, water boils at 100C

Heck, even if it is a theory. Nice one!! It would of made a good discussion. Since it was portrayed as an actually done and proven mod. I have to go the route of pulling the covers.. :(

Back