• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

I've saved up around $500-600 dollars and am looking into a watercooling setup for a AMD System I am making. I have some parts picked out and want some feedback.

CPU Waterblock: Storm G5(if i can find one) or G4

Pump: Hydor SELTZ 450GPH Pump

Radiator: 2x 120mm Dangerden BIX

VGA Waterblock: Dangerden Acetal Maze4(Will probably go on an X900)

I won't be using a NB Waterblock as I will use the Swiftech one. I will be using a T-Line unless I get a good enough reason to use a resevoir. The path of water will be:

Pump-->Radiator-->CPU-->Radiator-->VGA-->T-Line-->Back to pump.

-1cem4n

You can get the G4 from FrozenCPU.com it's called the swiftech storm now. As far as pumps I would go with an MCP655 or a moddified MCP350, there both dc pumps that plug right into your psu. They will both give you very good flow and head pressure but the MCP350 puts out less heat. The downside is you have to mod it to get good flow the mod can be found here.

Why not go for a 12V pump instead. Yeah the Hydor Line have great GPH ratings but their pressure is no the best. Some of the 12V pumps they have now have great GPH and have awesome pressure aswell. I have a Hydor L40 II, and that is a beast on its own, but that little sucker also pumps dremendous heat into the loop. Get 12V pump instead. The MCP655 would be a good choice, seeing as though you have so much cash to blow anyway. Routing will be easier too because the pump is smaller.

Bryan D.

1cem4n said:
I've saved up around $500-600 dollars and am looking into a watercooling setup for a AMD System I am making. I have some parts picked out and want some feedback.

CPU Waterblock: Storm G5(if i can find one) or G4

Pump: Hydor SELTZ 450GPH Pump

Radiator: 2x 120mm Dangerden BIX

VGA Waterblock: Dangerden Acetal Maze4(Will probably go on an X900)

I won't be using a NB Waterblock as I will use the Swiftech one. I will be using a T-Line unless I get a good enough reason to use a resevoir. The path of water will be:

Pump-->Radiator-->CPU-->Radiator-->VGA-->T-Line-->Back to pump.

-1cem4n

Well chage the pump to a MCP655 and thats the same rig im in mid build with. Most of this stuff highly recomended in the OC forums so all I can say till mine is finished is that I agree with the selection :rolleyes:

change the pump to a danger den D5/MCP655 and get a single 2x120mm radiator instead of 2 120mm's, and run it like this:

CPU block > GPU block > T-Line > Pump > Radiator > back to CPU block

Where would i put a double radiator? I really don't want to mod my case and I don't want to make an external enclosure since I would have to haul it around to LANs.

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
Where would i put a double radiator? I really don't want to mod my case and I don't want to make an external enclosure since I would have to haul it around to LANs.

-1cem4n

Generally speaking 2x120mm radiators introduce more restriction to a loop degrading its performance over a single double 120mm radiator. That understood its certainly not a killer for your watercooling. If modding your case is not something you wish to do I dont honestly think you would truly be hurting your setup by going with two rads. If you do indeed do so it would be interesting to see what your temps are like with a single rad in the loop initially and then with two rads in the loop.

Short form - Two single rads arent as effective as a single double rad. If you get the right pump (655) however you should still have solid cooling performance.

I found the MCP655 and it seems like the best pump out there with a good balance of pressure, flow rate, and temperature. So, if I get a BIX II/III where should I mount it?

-1cem4n

A BIXIII usually is best mounted on the top or bottom if you are looking at portability. BIXIIs can also be mounted in the front bottom (might have to remove 3.5" drive cages though, depending on your case). Some also have enough room between their MB and the case on the same side to mount it on the same side as the MB next to it. Whatever is going to work best for you as far as tube routing is what you look for. You just want to mount it preferably so that outside air is blowing on the rad instead of hot air from in the case. Also think about cleaning. You don't want to mount it in a way that makes it a pain to clear out the dust.

If you read my other post on where to mount a BIX III, I explain something I thought up during math class. The radiator will be at the bottom but air will be blowing out and since I will still have a fan inside(for HD), then I will still have cool air going in.

-1cem4n

Back