• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need XP help Please Read!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lance Thornton

Hi all.
I have a laptop with winxp home installed. A few days ago, the owner was in a hotel room with high speed connection enabled. The next morning, he left and tried to log in to windows. His password no longer worked and the guest account was now enabled. Is there any way to figure out the new password and/or is there any way to change them back other than saving all the data and starting over? Thanks for the help, I really really appreciate it!

LT

You'll need to login to the Administrator account from Safe Mode (hit F8 directly after POST, and select "Safe Mode"). Type Administrator for the "Username", and leave the "Password" field blank (unless the owner set this account's password, it's blank by default). In the Run box, type control userpasswords2 and click OK | User Accounts-->"Users" tab | Highlight the User Name | Password for ...-->"Reset Password" button.

While in Safe Mode, you can also reset the Guest account to "Disabled" by typing lusrmgr.msc in the Run box | Expand the "Users" folder | Double click the "Guest" account in the RH pane | Guest Properties-->"General" tab | Put a check mark next to "Account is disabled".

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful tips, but nothing has helped thus far. I'm going to speak to the owner on Monday the 18th and inform him of the severity of the situation. I've already backed up most of his data.

Thanks again for the help, I do appreciate it!

Lance Thornton said:
Thanks for the helpful tips, but nothing has helped thus far.
When you say "nothing has helped so far" ...what exactly have you tried, and what were the results?

Back