• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Ram To Buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowblade1

Im looking for a 2x512mb set for my new computer im building. Ill probably have a LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D, Amd 64 3200+ Venice, and a Nvidia 6800gt. Ill be overclocking and price isnt too much of a concern. Any suggestions? (iill say if price is too high) and could you tell me about what i could overclock them to? Thanks

If price isn't too much of a concern G.Skills are nice :) If they are a bit pricey you could go with 2x512 OCZ Plat. Rev. 2 From what I've read on the forums memory prices should be going up soon, so buy it while it's cheap. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, forgot the redlines :p being that you'll have access to high voltages with that board you'll definately want to consider those too.

saltytheseagull said:
Since you'll have the voltage you could get a set of Mushkin Redline 4000, GSkill is good too.
agreed. My new system will be rocking a pair of the Mushkin XP4000 Redlines and from what I hear it is some of the best out there, you could also check out the OCZ VX4000 Gold memory as well.

shadowblade1 said:
about how high can i hit on the redlines vs the g.skill?
The redlines will probably get to about 265-270mhz (with enough vdimm [read about 3.5V]) with close to or at 2-2-2-5 timings. The G.skill will probably reach about 285/290mhz but will have looser timings from what I understand.

What are your thoughts on 2x 512mb vs 2x 1gb? It seems BF2 can actualy take advantage of the extra ram... Problem is theres not a whole lot to choose from with 1 gig sticks. I guess I should go ahead and buy the ram for my upcoming build before the prices go any higher..

2 x 1 gig is better than 4x512 because you can run 1T with 2 sticks. I recommend 400VX, Gskill LE/LA, OCZ 3200 Gold, or GSkill GBH. Those new OCZ elites look promising too.

Eldonko said:
2 x 1 gig is better than 4x512 because you can run 1T with 2 sticks. I recommend 400VX, Gskill LE/LA, OCZ 3200 Gold, or GSkill GBH. Those new OCZ elites look promising too.

You misread what I asked. I said 2x 512mb vs. 2x 1gb. I may end up going for 2x 512mb because my budget is a little tight.

Back