• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have 865PE chipset but cant get memory speeds +DDR400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr_F

Hello OCforums, I have joined here before but lost my last profile info..., so hello once again.... :)

Here is my problem. I have an AOpen mobo with a i865PE chipset. These chipsets support memory speeds way faster than DDR400, but I cant set it past that in my bios. Am I basicly going to be limited to DDR400 unless they come out with an updated BIOS that will allow me to set a higher speed? The latest BIOS did allow an increase in voltage to the RAM so thats a plus (sort of, cause if you cant turn up the speed you dont need the voltage!?!). But still no upgrade on memory speeds. :mad: I bought a couple of sticks of PC4000, but got mad when noticed I couldnt turn up the speed past DDR400. Seems that there are more mobos out there with the same problem. And finding a mobo that will support the fast memory is limited. You cant determine what memory speed you should get by what chipset you get. Which is agrevating. :temper:

The highest memory speed "officially" supported on socket 478 platform is ddr400. I have read about some hacked bios that provide a 4:5 divider at 200mhz, but I doubt anyone created one for the Aopen board. The only way you can run your ram at ddr500 is to overclock the fsb up to 250mhz, which will overclock your processor too.

Right, if you want to run the i865/i875 chipsets faster than DDR400, you have to raise FSB to do it. If you are below 200 FSB, then you can usually run the 3:4 ratio (assuming your RAM can handle the speed).

Back