• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raj Mahal

Registered
Alright so I was copying the I386 folder from my windows cd onto my hard drive to see if that fixed anything (I haven't been able to install windows xp). It was up to O or P or around there and my computer just shut off. I unplugged it and looked inside, nothing was smoking or smelled funny. I touched around, nothing felt warm. I plugged my PSU back in and tried turning it on and the lights on my fans flickered real quick before shutting off. Even after the LEDs shut off, the green light on my motherboard stayed lit. So my mobo is lit but nothing else is on. Advice?

It sounds like your computer is grounding itself out, try assembling it outside of the case and see if that helps.

First try jumpering your PSU like this

plug.gif

If the fan spins up, your PSU may be OK, and you'll have to start looking at the CPU or mobo.
If the PSU turns out to be your problem, try doing an install with minimal components for functionality(CPU, RAM, vid, CD or DVD, HD), and if successful add other components one at a time.

stool said:
First try jumpering your PSU like this

plug.gif

If the fan spins up, your PSU may be OK, and you'll have to start looking at the CPU or mobo.
If the PSU turns out to be your problem, try doing an install with minimal components for functionality(CPU, RAM, vid, CD or DVD, HD), and if successful add other components one at a time.

Ok, my PSU is definitely dead. But since that generic PSU works on other machines I have and not on the new build, and the fact I eliminated all components (RAM, VGU, CPU) I'm going to RMA the motherboard as well as the PSU. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, stool.

Back