• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why am I running so hot? 65c-68c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[WCC]ROAD-KILL!

Registered
I tried to update my bios in my computer the other day. I had a slite problem with bootup but It worked through it. My temps never ran over 108f-116f. Now sense I messed with the bios it has been running hot. I had a friend that came over and changed some stuff in the settings to bring up my cpu from 3.0ghz to 3.4ghz. He made everything come up together so I would not have any instability problems and I havent till now. Now after updating my bios if I crank up my cpu by 5% it crashes the system. My friend is away on vacation so he can't help me. Any Ideas on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

you will need a better cooling solution when you start overclocking the cpu.also go back to the old bios and see if it helps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
P4 [email protected]
2x36gig raptors(raid0)
2x256mg PC3500C2 bh5(2-2-2-5)
BFG6800ultra@450/1150
OCZ powerstream 520w
OCZ ddr [email protected]

Last edited:
Try using other temperature measurements to see if thats your real temperature.

If it's running that hot, change everything back to stock speeds. Also check all fans to make sure their spinning properly. Also try to reseating the heatsink with AS5 if possible. If all else fails, buy a new heatsink or get an external floor fan.

Temps are not the problem here, while you should look into better cooling, or maby a remount, I would say something else is the problem. My 3.0E ran fine at 70C. I've seen a northwood IDLE at 70C, and not lock up till it hit quite a bit higher. I would also check to see if Vcore is set correctly.

sunrunner20 said:
Temps are not the problem here, while you should look into better cooling, or maby a remount, I would say something else is the problem. My 3.0E ran fine at 70C. I've seen a northwood IDLE at 70C, and not lock up till it hit quite a bit higher. I would also check to see if Vcore is set correctly.

Vcore... What is a vcore? I am not over clocked now. If I try to overclock then I crash before the system ever starts running. Thanks for the time you guys take to reply.

Vcore is how many volts are in your CPU right now.

AMDs are usually 1.65-1.7V

When you start adding MHz, you might have to up the vcore, resulting in requiring better cooling

MadSkillzMan said:
Vcore is how many volts are in your CPU right now.

AMDs are usually 1.65-1.7V

When you start adding MHz, you might have to up the vcore, resulting in requiring better cooling

Do you know where I might find directions on how to see what my settings should be and to change them? I'm a noob at this and need some guidance. Thanks for your help.

well, first tell us what it is. SHould be located somewhere in your bios, Vcore, or just CPU Core with a number next to it..check PChealth/status or something similar (im an AMD/Apple guy)

dont mess with Vcore just yet. Thats where you step into irreparable damange Im not sure how you do it on intel chips, i know in some instances soldering and pin closing is involved

Again, im not an intel guy. So thats alien territory for me. What i suggest is posting in CPUs-Intel with what model it is, and seeing what can you get out of it...or go to www.overclockers.com where i beleive we have a database of CPUs and how far they can be pushed.

research your motherboaord, about HOW do you open it/unlock it (if necesery) about the bios, etc..

youll need to know what kind of bios...Award, Phoenix, etc...itll say at the top of the screen when your in it

And a jump from 3.0 to a straight 3.4 isnt good. Most guys on here swear by "burn in". Generally when OCing, you want to step the CPU in increments of about 50mhz, and run it a LONG time. Abuse it with Prime95. But thats debatable, some guys say it doesnt matter, others do.

I heard one guy slowly got his from 1.8ghz all the way to 3.2ghz, only that was over a few months of small increments...and it was watercooled i think

Once you find your general aread (within 50MHZ) you tweak it by about 5mhz up and down to find your correct spot.

Look at your CPU voltage (vcore). If you have stock cooling, you probably don't want to be above 1.4v. You seriously need better cooling.

Sunrunner, the P-4 will start thermal throttling at some point above 70 degrees. I highly recommend keeping load CPU temp below low 60's for stability and longevity.

whats average for a P4? just curious..AMDs wer lucky if we get 48C on a server board..my mac right now reports 29C ..load is 38C (thats a full out render)

batboy said:
Look at your CPU voltage (vcore). If you have stock cooling, you probably don't want to be above 1.4v. You seriously need better cooling.

Sunrunner, the P-4 will start thermal throttling at some point above 70 degrees. I highly recommend keeping load CPU temp below low 60's for stability and longevity.

It starts at 68C, at least for my chip. And thermal throttleing does not exactly wear out the chip. Its just another part of the chip, wether or not It gets used does not matter.

Ok I looked at the Vcore and it is @ 1.4volts. At Idle my moboard is at 30c and my cpu is at 47c. My fans are at about 2000rpm. I flashed the latest Bios last night just to make sure that is not the problem. Thanks you guys for your input.

Back