• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2GB of memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wenty

What would be a good set of sticks to get? I'm looking something that can be over clocked a little and it has to be two 1GB sticks. My system is in my sig. and any suggestions would be great. Thanks! :)

Well if you are looking for the best 1GB sticks then Balistix is what you are looking for. They are the best clockers so far and have been known to hit 300MHz.

If you are tighter on a budget then Crucial Value 1GB sticks should work for you as well, these are also good OC'ers as well.

I have been debating between Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2x1GB sticks or Mushkin HP PC3200 2x1GB sticks. Because async isn't as much of an issue with AMD64s, the mushkins are looking mighty fine at their price point, especially with those 2.3.2.6 timings. I could probably hit 2.2.2.6 with the ballistix, but would have to underclock to 230mhz or so.

It's a toss-up!

My Ballistix won't do CL 2.0 or 2.5 at all, but at 3-3-3-8-1T they run 300 Mhz stable as the day is long, and at only 2.77V. I would not call them value ram by any stretch of the imagination though. You get what you pay for.

Hoot

The main issue in making your decision will be headroom vs. timings. I have yet to see a pair of 1GB sticks offer both. I too have been looking for the last week and where I found credible information the choice was consistently between tight timings and max headroom. The Mushkin came out on top for me as my proc tops out at approx 235 x 12 or 250 x 10. I am most comfortable running it at default voltage at 225x12.

I have to give props to the good folks at OCZ. They were very straightforward in sharing information with me regarding their 1GB sticks and their overclocking potential, as OCZ was a front runner based on the fact that I currently have a pair of 512mb sticks. In a nutshell they told me that I might not get 230-235HTT out of a pair of Platinum or Titanium 1GB 3200 sticks.

| X2 4800+ | A8N-SLI Premium | aquacomputer H20 Cooled | 1 GB OCZ EL Platinum Rev. 2 3200 |74GB WD 10K Raptors | SB Audigy 2ZS OpAmp Modded | Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 | eVGA 6800u x 2 | NEC ND-3500A & 3540A | PCP&C 510 SLI | LianLi V2000B | XP SP2 | Dell UltraSharp 2001FP | Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA Storage |

Hoot said:
My Ballistix won't do CL 2.0 or 2.5 at all, but at 3-3-3-8-1T they run 300 Mhz stable as the day is long, and at only 2.77V. I would not call them value ram by any stretch of the imagination though. You get what you pay for.

Hoot

Dood! Post a Sandy of your bandwidth @ 300 3-3-3-8 iT. I thought the highest they went were 260 with relaxed timings. If the bandidth is in the 7k range I may just jump on it.

RedDragonXXX said:
If you are tighter on a budget then Crucial Value 1GB sticks should work for you as well, these are also good OC'ers as well.
I highly suggest against going for the value chips. Micron has a nasty habit of dumping poor quality chips into that segment. You would be lucky to get even a mild overclock on value crucial. :(

"Keanu Reeeves voice" Whoaaa!

Attachments

• 2 gig 300 x 12.GIF
    2 gig 300 x 12.GIF
    55.1 KB · Views: 380
I wonder how much higher than 300 can they clock? Is this with high voltage?

I think I'm gonna jump on it! :cool:

Here is a guy who is at 275HTT w/ Sandy scores >7K. He is at 2.9v. Still very, very respectable for 1GB sticks. I don't think this memory really likes anything above 2.8. I would say 2.9 is high.

Krag with a smokin' system like yours, I surprised you don't already have the Ballistix! I just took the plunge via the Crucial website b/c I want the tracers. :thup:

edit: Check out this link at XtremeSys. The guy above, Sierra, was at 3.0v. Most of the guys in the link are somewhere between 2.6-2.8v.

Post your results when you get em’.

Last edited:
Sentential said:
I highly suggest against going for the value chips. Micron has a nasty habit of dumping poor quality chips into that segment. You would be lucky to get even a mild overclock on value crucial. :(

nearly all the value 1gig sticks do like ddr480-500 3-3-3-8. they are really good ram, ive seen single 1gig sticks do ddr526 with 2.9v 3-3-3-8. its really good for the money.

krag said:
Dood! Post a Sandy of your bandwidth @ 300 3-3-3-8 iT. I thought the highest they went were 260 with relaxed timings. If the bandidth is in the 7k range I may just jump on it.

Sorry to take so long replying. Been doing a lot of chores this holiday weekend. At the speeds and voltage in my sig, Sandra Memory Benchmark yields 7513/7443.

Hoot

Hoot said:
Sorry to take so long replying. Been doing a lot of chores this holiday weekend. At the speeds and voltage in my sig, Sandra Memory Benchmark yields 7513/7443.

Hoot

Did you get the sticks directly from Crucial?

Damn those are nice clocks Hoot.

For an Athlon XP board, get something than can run 2-2-2-5 around 230mhz-240mhz. I have Mushkin 2-2-2 Special, which is BH-6 and it completely OWNED on my 1800+. You won't be able to get terribly high clocks because the memory controller is old, but the timings you could obtain.

im curious why is everyone going for 1gb sticks now. i mean bf2 made it obvious what games are gonna need now but why not just 4x512? i ask because i have to take into account that my mobo only supports up to a 2.8v for ram and what kind of performance decrease would i see since PAT will be disabled?

Well its not an option for A64 users. 4 x 512 will kill performance.. the Intel chipsets do a much better job at handling 4 sticks. Timings will have to be more lax, and you might not reach clocks that are quite as high... Overall, 4 x 512 isn't going to set you backk all that much for an Intel chipset... but for an A64, it will completely devestate you.

Back