• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2GB of memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just an FYI...If you order direct from Crucial you can get a 4% discount by using the MaximumPC discount code of "MAXPC" without the quotes. Crucial is offering this discount to all MaximumPC readers.

ShoNuff said:
Just an FYI...If you order direct from Crucial you can get a 4% discount by using the MaximumPC discount code of "MAXPC" without the quotes. Crucial is offering this discount to all MaximumPC readers.

I don't see how Crucial sells any memory direct to the consumer, considering how deeply they discount them to resellers like NewEgg. For example, with the Maximum PC discount, you'll pay Crucial $383.99 for these sticks, whereas you'll pay NewEgg $313.82 for them with no discount.

Hoot

nicknomo said:
Well its not an option for A64 users. 4 x 512 will kill performance.. the Intel chipsets do a much better job at handling 4 sticks. Timings will have to be more lax, and you might not reach clocks that are quite as high... Overall, 4 x 512 isn't going to set you backk all that much for an Intel chipset... but for an A64, it will completely devestate you.
Don't you think that's a bit of an overstatement? For people who insist on running the memory 1:1 with the HTT, yeah, they will not be happy with 4 x 512 sticks. However, it has been shown that using memory dividers does not result in a significant performance hit. CPU/HTT speed are far more important. For people who currently have 2x512 sticks, adding another 2x512 sticks is a perfectly viable option for all but the most obsessive overclockers/benchmark junkies. Most people will not even notice a difference. If anything the extra 1 GB of memory will result in a performance increase in demanding applications like BF2.

Hoot said:
I don't see how Crucial sells any memory direct to the consumer, considering how deeply they discount them to resellers like NewEgg. For example, with the Maximum PC discount, you'll pay Crucial $383.99 for these sticks, whereas you'll pay NewEgg $313.82 for them with no discount.

Hoot

I don't believe Crucial supplies their resellers very well. NewEgg doesn't carry their full product line. In this case they were (and still are) out of the 2GB kits. If you desire to have the Tracers or the 2GB kits you will have to go direct unfortunately. :eh?:

ShoNuff said:
I don't believe Crucial supplies their resellers very well. NewEgg doesn't carry their full product line. In this case they were (and still are) out of the 2GB kits. If you desire to have the Tracers or the 2GB kits you will have to go direct unfortunately. :eh?:

You're right about NewEgg getting only a trickle of product and also they don't usually have the 2x1Gb stick kits in stock. What they do have are single 1Gb sticks in stock. That's how I ordered mine, I just ordered two of the 1Gb sticks. Vastly different serial numbers, yet they still play very well together. A testimony to Crucials Quality Control. Buying them individually cost a little more $317.83, but still leap and bounds cheaper than direct from Crucial. My theory is NewEgg has a contract with Crucial for a fixed price per unit, that may go back a ways. If costs to maintain the high performance go up at Crucial, they lose money fullfilling their contract with NewEgg, so they ship the absolute minimum they can without being in violation of the contract.

Hoot

KillrBuckeye said:
Don't you think that's a bit of an overstatement? For people who insist on running the memory 1:1 with the HTT, yeah, they will not be happy with 4 x 512 sticks. However, it has been shown that using memory dividers does not result in a significant performance hit. CPU/HTT speed are far more important. For people who currently have 2x512 sticks, adding another 2x512 sticks is a perfectly viable option for all but the most obsessive overclockers/benchmark junkies. Most people will not even notice a difference. If anything the extra 1 GB of memory will result in a performance increase in demanding applications like BF2.

I think you are right... It is not a noticeable difference... People seem bent on keeping their clocks no matter what though; That's why I made the statment that I did. Dropping 10 mhz on the memory bus will give most people here a hernia, even though its pretty inconsequential.

I just try to imagine the frame of mind if a person who values their superpi score more than life itself.

Seriously though, 4 sticks will chop down your memory clock... which is NOT a problem if you are willing to run on a divider... On an A64 there is not much of a tangible benefit of 1:1 anyway. People still seem caught up in their old ways though... I had a tought time believing 1:1 isn't important, but low and behold it suprised me.

Hoot said:
You're right about NewEgg getting only a trickle of product and also they don't usually have the 2x1Gb stick kits in stock. What they do have are single 1Gb sticks in stock. That's how I ordered mine, I just ordered two of the 1Gb sticks. Vastly different serial numbers, yet they still play very well together. A testimony to Crucials Quality Control. Buying them individually cost a little more $317.83, but still leap and bounds cheaper than direct from Crucial. My theory is NewEgg has a contract with Crucial for a fixed price per unit, that may go back a ways. If costs to maintain the high performance go up at Crucial, they lose money fullfilling their contract with NewEgg, so they ship the absolute minimum they can without being in violation of the contract.

Hoot

fyi - Newegg has started to carry the Ballistix 2GB kits for $310(that's right). They are currently out of stock but I got a couple of sets last week. And with a little tweaking have gotten these results:

Ballistix280.jpg

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=37773

Back